Amitriptyline cause depression?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all!

I was hoping if someone could help me and I'm sorry this is going to be a bit long so please bear with me.

I'm having severe anxiety, lost 6lbs in one week which gave me more anxiety. My doctor prescribed me Amitriptyline at 10mg to help me sleep and hopefully give me appetites to gain back my weights(yes I'm scared of losing weight).

The first night I took it I dosed off right away but woke up early. Was a bit tipsy when I went to work. BUT all the anxiety symptoms were still there - chest tightness, hopeless, scared, palpitation plus zero appetite still. So I thought maybe the med hasn't really kicked in.

Well I'm on my fifth day now and I've been waking up at 4am with feeling of hopelessness and doom and now my hands are constantly shaking and body twitching and feeling like goosebumps on my hands and stomach. And starting yesterday I have head tightness and stiff neck. It comes and go. When it comes my anxiety symptoms seems to go, but when it gooes, horrible feelings come creeping in..like I will never get better, and perhaps I'm having depression.

So my question is has anyone had these kinds of side effect when taking small dosage of Amitriptyline or is my anxiety too severe that I may need to increase the dosage?

I'm actually thinking of withdrawing from this med.

So any device will be very appreciated.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have chronic fatigue syndrome and I'm housebound and I started taking 12.5 mg amitryptyline for insomnia which worked great for 6 weeks then I had to stop taking it as it started putting me in a waking coma also I felt physically like absolute deaths for a month which is not as bad now. I wasn't too worried as I thought it would soon wear off, three months later I'm still as bad. This drug has made me lose all my physical and mental ability. I struggle to read and feel so sleepy. My eyes feel so heavy. I'm pretty much bed ridden and only get up when I need to go to get food or bathroom. Now in the last week I have started to develop thus feeling of complete impending doom and severe depression which is not like me at all. Now I'm also very very anxious because of this and feel like I'm starting to go insane. Just wondering people's opinion on this as my gp is completely useless. Do you think it has taken all thus time to get it out my system because of my condition and now I'm suffering with withdrawal? I'm getting to the point where I can barely eat anything anymore. Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Posted

It can take 30 days for meds to work. I have been on them to help me sleep and it works for me. Along with anxiety
  • Posted

Stop taking it it may me depress headache back pain no appetite it's been six months no relief

• Posted

I was put on Amatryptaline for depression and fibromialgia. Its day 3 and the pain has reduced but, I am really dizzy. Can't stay out of bed. Is this normal for anyone here?

• Posted

This drug takes about 3 weeks to start to work properly and for initial side effects to lessen. Give it a bit more time and if things do not settle down for you it is the wrong thing for you. What dose have you been given to start with? This is a hard drug to come off as well and you would have to cut down gradually, with the help of your GP, before you can come off for good. Please don't forget this advice Babs because withdrawals can be quite nasty!

?I hope it settles down and is helpful to you. Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.