Amitriptyline causing foot tingling/ burning / numbness?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I need some help. I've been on 10mg of ami since the end of October 17 for some pain id had the previous 5 months from an abscess (which was treated with antibiotics). Anyway I had some relief within a month and I thought all was well.howecer since Dec I have had really strong constant tingling and burning pain in my right foot. I also get pins and needles in this foot . I have also had gastric symptoms. This is something I've never had before and is very troubling because it's constant and very strong. So my question is has anyone else had this as a side effect? I'm reducing my dosage and trying to come of ami. Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The dose is very low so i dont think your foot problem is linked, good idea to visit the gp as it could be a number of things, same wit the gastric upset as the ami is supposed to relieve symptoms of gastric upset caused by anxiety (thats why im on it)
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I've been to the GP many times and he's stumped as I'm otherwise a healthy 23 yr old.

• Posted

What about tarsal tunnel syndrome?
    • Posted

Sounds like your gp should be referring you to a podiatrist. The symptoms you describe are pointing to a nerve or circulation problem,  im not sure of the ins and outs of tts, i know my problem is plantar in both feet and for having ignored for ten years, its now gone from fasciitis to fasiocis and leaving me hobbling around like a 90 year old unless i do physio every couple of hours. My point being, dont give up til you get an answer. Healthy feet are essential.
  • Posted

I'm on 150mg's a day and also have numb feet but i was told it was because of diabetes.

• Posted

Thanks for your comment. That's a high dosage! I have had lots of blood tests recently so it's not that for me. Have you been diagnosed with diabetes?

• Posted

Hi there. Sadly, I did develop diabetes which is a pain. I suffered for years with poor sleep and I have to say the amatryptaline is great to get you sleeping. It is a high dose and I also take 450mg's of Quietiapine too w ich is also quite a high dose. However your body does adjust to it. The morning hangover is not near as bad as it used to be. Good luck to you...

• Posted

I’ve been on Amitriptyline far too long and on high doses. A couple of years ago I got tingling and has over time spread. Now in feet/hands/one leg and button. So painful and you’re not alone.

I have recently stopped taking the medication as these meds are more harm than good. 

It’s time to fight back.

Have you tried acupuncture/reflexology? Your nerves are probably confused with the meds so maybe try meditation or mindfulness to calm the nerves?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.