Amitriptyline causing urinary retention ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone experienced Amitriptyline causing urinary retention and/or Post Void Retention ?

I understand that this drug is often prescribed to slow down an overactive bladder but the downside is that it is reported to cause the opposite in people taking it for anxiety/pain etc.

Many reports on the web from very reputable bodies naming Amitriptyline as a serious cause of the above.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You write:

I understand that this drug is often prescribed to slow down an overactive bladder but the downside is that it is reported to cause the opposite in people taking it for anxiety/pain etc.

i cannot speak to that but can inform you that after prostate surgery I had discomfort in the scrotum and bladder area.

I was Rx'd amitriptilyne, low dose and that got rid of the discomfort.

For my problem the dose was 10mg/daily and I had NO SIDE EFFECTS. It took care of the pain.

I expect the side effects one gets depends on the size of the dose taken.

• Edited

I did hear that when treating BPH, amitriptyline may increase the risk of urinary retention, worsens the symptoms of BPH and can increase PVR.

That said, I never suffered from those ill effects.

I suggest you weigh the pros and cons of the drug, and any drug you're offered, as the pros may exceed the cons even if there are cons.

Or you could simply do what I do: when prescribed a drug I start off taking LESS than the dose prescribed. If I suffer no side effects then gradually raise the dose to the level you were prescribed.

Pls don't assume every side effect listed, even major ones are what you will experience. We are all different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.