Amitriptyline-depression, anxiety & insomnia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Can anyone give me any success stories or general encouragement please. 

I’ve been suffering with severe depression, anxiety & insomnia for the last 10 weeks. 

I’ve tried mirtapine & trazodone with no luck & now my gp has put me on amitriptyline.

I’ve only been on it 2 nights at 40mg & my gp has now upped it to 100mg-150mg per night. (An antidepressant dose)

I’ve had this medication before (years ago) for anxiety & insomnia but never for depression. 

It did help the anxiety & insomnia after a few weeks years ago but I can’t really remember, I know I was on a high dose at around 100mg a night.

Does amitriptyline work for depression as I’m literally at breaking point & don’t know what else to do! 

I’m off work sick at the moment, crying all the time, struggling to eat & the no sleep is affecting my mood hugely! 

All I want is my life back & to feel like me again. 

I have a hugely supportive partner & desperately want to feel better.

Thank you, Katie x

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have to say, my story is very similar to yours. I've been on 150mg of Amatryptaline for about a year now and I have noticed a difference. It's not quick, in fact it is very slow acting but one day you waken up and things no longer seem black and negative. And the next day, you feel the same, then a down day and then up again. I guess it took three months for me to see a difference but I do feel better. In fact, I don't want to stop taking it. 

It also takes a bit of time for your body to adjust to the Amatryptaline, I used to wake feeling really hung over and tired. I used to take the tablets at about 5pm to try and make the mornings easier. It does make you tired but I like that side effect. My depression was compounded by not sleeping properly, I had some terrible nights trying to sleep but that all ended when I started Amatryptaline. I have a great nights sleep now, it's great and it only takes me a couple of cups of coffee to get moving in the morning.

Good luck with it but it does take time to work, you'll get there in the end, I'm sure of that.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Daviemac, I think I replied to you on my other post! I didn’t realise this post had posted yesterday xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.