Amitriptyline (Elavil) Withdrawal

Posted , 18 users are following.

i've taken amitriptyline on and off for about a year, from 10 mg up to 75 mg. for the past three months i've pretty regularly taken 50 mg every night. i am completely fed up with the spaceyness, grogginess, fatigue, weight gain and lack of clarity.

i quit cold turkey about a week ago and the anxiety, nausea, headaches, and confusion/ spaceyness from the withdrawl has been pretty rough. i really want to tough it out, get it out of my system and finally feel normal again.

does anyone have any tips, advice or information on how to get through this safely or how long this may last?

3 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I wish my doctor had told me how horrific it would be to come off this medication.   I have been on 25 mg slowly increasing to 100 mg over a period of seven years.   After I began having many ill side effects I decided it was time to take myself off the medication.  I had been put on it for sleep and slowly begin increasing my dosage as it stopped working.  It has been a month and a half since I tapered off and completely stopped taking the medication.    The sleep has gotten better, however I wake up every day feeling like I have a horrible hangover – nausea, diarrhea and dull headache.  My stomach gurgles all day long and keeps me awake at night.   My doctor is in denial that it has anything to do with my amitriptyline withdrawls.   Doea anyone have any suggestions of supplements I can take to make this more bearable? 
    • Edited

I was on 50mg of amitryptyline for about 12 years. Towards the end they weren't even helping me sleep. Just making me feel rubbish all the next day. About two months ago I thought I've had enough of being on this medication. A doctor suggested I try mirtazapine. The good thing about it was the side affects of coming off them was no where near as bad as tapering off them. That being because the mirtazapine were going into my system. I know how hard it is to taper off amitryptyline. I'm soon hoping to come off the mirtazapine as well and see how I go from there.

• Posted

For anyone out there I've been changed meds so many times and tapered down sometimes and sometimes no but ALWAYS ASK FOR CLONDINE THIS WILL GET YOU THROUGH ALL YOUR WITHDRAWALS 100 ;%

• Posted

So interested, went on 10mg of amitriptyline  for bladder pain syndrome for 7 mths ,then was having panic attacks ,

Dr put me on serepax but only have it occasionally now.......BP went high now on atenolol for that but battle with heart palpitations...never been the same since atenolol...think you have to reduce it slow.....has to be a better way than some of these awful drugs..that make you feel  so awful....

My advice is stick it out.....but go off that dose gradually...learn breathing techniques...get rid of stress that you can get rid of .......excersise and believe it or not pray...sort of think God listens when you desperate.....no one else will. Best of luck I will add emmlandi to my list...pray list that is...gets my mind off my self!!!!

• Edited

oh...my...God!!! What it took to deal w/the insane lock and key set up passcode/memorable word count (that doesnt tell you the "Spaces" are counted as letters!) And it wanted (for even more verification) with a 14th letter to a MEMORABLE word, which doesnt have 14 letters! Awful I was going to give some valuable info here, but signing up put me in a bad mood.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.