Amitriptyline for 9 days - heart palpitations, internal tremors, trycardia

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all looking for some guidance. I was only on amitriptyline for 9 days, 10 mg day. I got severe chest pain, tremors, and very high heart rate. high bp as well.. ended up in the ER bec I thought it was a heart attack. 3 weeks later I'm still experiencing these symptoms. I went to a cardiologist and they want to put me on propranolol. during this time I also got the booster shot so I hope that didn't make it worse. I'm wearing a heart monitor for 2 weeks now.

has any one experienced this being such a low dose for a short time? how long did it take to go away?

a little background. I was put on amitriptyline for anxiety which I've had for all my life. I was on seroquel but my doc told me to stop it and try amitriptyline. I stopped seroquel one day and started amitriptyline the next.

1 year ago I woke up with severe tinnitus. since then I've been neurologist, ents, etc. I've gotten all the necessary tests, mri etc. I also got nerve pain my foot and my hands fall asleep easily.

my current combo is 15 mg mirtazapine, 30 mg buspar, 25 mg hctz, 800 mg gabapentin. I'm only 41 yrs old.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hello, i've been on amitriptyline for almost a year. been tapering for the last 3 months from 50mg down to 22.5mg. I've had a lot of the same symptoms and more. High heart rate, chest pains, panic attacks, nightmares, tingling/ numbness in joints, headaches, nauseau, constant dizziness and the list goes on. I too thought i was having a heart attack and called an ambulance. had a holter monitor and blood test still waiting for a ct scan. but everything so far has come out normal. Amitriptyline is an old antidepressant and tachycardia or racing heart rate is a listed side effect. my resting heart rate has increased by at least 20bpm since i started taking it. i think it would be good to consider if you think the medication is working for you and if the side effects you're experiencing are manageable. there are lots of meds out there and some newer antidepressants with less side effects. it can sometimes become a cycle to take one med and continue adding more meds to deal with the side effects of the first one. ultimately the choice is yours and wishing you all the best.

• Posted

hi in 2016 i was on amytryptaline and after one night party with some alcohol i woke up in the middle of the night with my heart accelerating to the sky. I thought I was having an heart attack, went to emergency, and thankfully it slowed down heart BP. I think it was the interaction of alcohol with the medicin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.