Amitriptyline For Headaches & Facial Pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Guys, 

I'm pretty new to this so here goes - I have been prescribed Amitriptyline for headaches & facial pains/tingles. After alot of research online my symptoms are along the lines of someone suffering Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN - I also posted a discussion in the Trigeminal Neuralgia Section on here) has anyone else on here been prescribed this drug for this? I have went from a dose of 10mg - 50mg within 6 weeks and still suffering the pains in my face, also along with the pains I have flushing on my cheek/ear/neck and on very back occassions i have this appear on my chest and back too. Has anyone else been prescibed this drug for these symptoms and also have they worked? 

Amanda 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Amanda sorry for late reply,work been manic. Sorry to hear your not doing to good. Went to docs and asked to stay on same mg! did not want to increase dosage. Got to go back in four weeks. Symptoms till there feeling quite low at mo. Got cold sores and sore throat so feeling quite crap. I'm going to keep trying amitriptyline and hope it goes away soon. Does your pain change in different weathers????
  • Posted

I hope this will help people suffering fro TMJ. I was diagnosed with it year ago and given gum shield. Was managing okay then recently had a really bad bout as stopped wearing gum shield.

Chronic pain, dizziness, could not even stand up for two days pain, migraine and dizziness was so bad!!

Took paracetamol and after neurophen as little as possible but needed either constantly for three days.

then started acupressure in certain areas of cheek bone, back of neck and other areas. Relived the pain tremendously, I was offered Amiltripaline, but have managed without, by doing acu pressure, relaxation exercises and doing very gentle exercise, when pain and dizziness receded.

After 2 weeks from this really bad bout symptons are gradually receding, and my life getting back to normal.

there is a book which has a special section for TMJ treatment, that I used to great success (i dont work for promoting book, its just been very effective!), its called Acupressure, how to cure common ailments the natural way, by Michael Reed Gach.

i also make sure i dont clench my teeth during the day, keep them relaxed and take relaxing drink and make sure to concentrate on relaxing face muscles and gentle massage before i go to sleep.

hope this helps!!!

• Posted

Hi amanda and everyone

Hope you all are feeling better

Ive been told i have Atypical facial pain and anxiety

Got them amphyline 10mg meds, made me like a zombie had to stop it , now iam without meds waiting to see my doctor thougth ill do a bit of research and bumped into this conversation,

It all started after a veryyy stressful month and i had anxiety attacks , felt a pain on my tempel a sharp pain then it become a pressure pain left side only

The gradully the pressure came around the cheek area with fuzzy feeling around the eye , now iam geting the pain and huge pressure on the tempel and head feels compressed, nearly 24/7

Iam 30 year old , this is really scareing me please help anyone one suggest any kind of treatment that would help ? Any one found relife or pain free now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.