Amitriptyline for migraine prevention

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm new here and was just wondering has anyone taken amitriptyline for prevention of migraine. I have suffered with severe migraines since the age of 12. ( now 37 ) I have recently been put on amitriptyline to try prevent the horrid things as propranolol didn't work and just wondering if anyone has had any problems with these? As since taking them as embarrassing as it is I cannot pass urine properly. Lol. Anyone else suffered this?

Thank you for taking the time to read.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I used to take amitripyline every night for migraine prevention, the worked really well, to get rid of a migraine I take two 300mg the sign of a migraine and if I woke up with a migraine, I would take to 300mg dissolvable aspirin, my migraine disappears anything from 15 mind upto an hour, everyone is different, I mow take pregabalin and that works just as well.
  • Posted

I tried amitriptyline but it didn't make any difference to my migraines and made me feel groggy. I have been taking Pizotifen for the past couple of years which worked well to start with, it didn't reduce the frequency but did reduce the intensity, so most of the time I could get by with just taking paracetamol extra instead of sumatriptan. Since before Christmas my migraines have become even more frequent, nearly every other day,so I've been referred back to the neurologist.

t

• Posted

Hi, aspirin works for my migraines at the start of them and even when I wake up with a migraine, the aspirin still works, the best thing for u to do is go to the neurologist and ask for pregabalin, I take pregabalin three times a day and they are working to good effect.
    • Posted

Hi Dawn, yes the paracetamol has aspirin in it and like I said most of the time it works. My GP is a bit wary about the amount of aspirin I take due to the frequency of my migraines now so he has given me tablets to take to protect my stomach. It's interesting to hear that you wake with migraines, most of mine are early morning ones. This morning I woke up at 4 o'clock, took 2 paracetamol extra but unfortunately it didn't work so I had to take a sumatriptan. Fortunately, sumatriptan works most of the time and at least I can get on with my day. I have been a migraine sufferer for over 40 years so I'll be interested to see what the neurologist wants to try next. I will mention pregabalin, thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Hi, sumatriptans don't work on me what so ever, that's why I take the pregabalin and then if needed, i can take 600mg of aspirin in a mouthful of water, three times a day, the paracetamol I have in the house, it doesn't not contain aspirin, I have morphine in stock as back up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.