Amitriptyline for pain relief

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed as having osteoarthritis in a lot of joints and I'm currently having a lot of pain. Until recently I was taking 20mgs of Amitriptyline on a night but after doing some research I want back to my GP and requested her to increase it to 50mgs. I gradually increased it over a short period to the 50mgs. I'm not entirely sure it's very effective yet but it's early days. My main problem was the pharmacist. I went to collect my prescription and I felt very uncomfortable because he wouldn't hand over my medication. He asked me if my consultant had recommended I be prescribed the higher dose (which she hasn't) so I told him the GP increased the dose for my pain on a night. That wasn't good enough for him because he persisted in asking over and over again had my consultant recommend the high dose. In the end I told a white lie and said yes she had because I had a strong suspicion he wasn't going to let me have the medication unless I gave him the answer he wanted. He then gave me my medication. Does anyone know if the higher dose can only be prescribed on the say so of a consultant? I've gone to this pharmacy for years and found the pharmacist helpful and very friendly but this took me by surprise. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Matron,

did you or could you ask the pharmacist what the problem with the higher dose is  - in his/her opinion?   Maybe it is a concern for other medications you are taking,  have a word with him, see what it is that is causing him worries.  A private consultation would be better.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Thanks jessie I think you're right I should do that. I'm usually a very confident person but I think at the time I was just taken aback because the   Amitriptyline was prescribed and 50mgs is the recommended dose for patients with osteoarthritis (according to the Arthritis Research Council and other documents I've read). It was just the way he inferred that it should only be on the authorisation of a consultant. Anyway you're absolutely right jessie I will ask him when I'm there in a few weeks time. Thanks again
  • Posted

Get a NEW PHARMACIST. The Pharmacist you have described is attempting to play "DOCTOR." If your Doctor prescribed the higher dosage for you - IT IS NOT THE BUSINESS OF THE PHARMACIST TO QUESTION THE DOCTOR.

CONCLUSION

There are quite a few Pharmacists who like to play COPS & PROSECUTORS. They don't have the power to prescribe so they feel they can make a power play by being prosecutorial which is OUT OF THE PURVIEW OF THEIR JOB REQUIREMENTS.

Not only should he/she shut his trap but should be reported to the Community Board in your town which oversees the Pharmacists.

• Posted

Kingjerry you are absolutely right. I get extremely irritated when I'm questioned by pharmacists and what makes me more annoyed is that I'm a Nurse Prescriber and I do have a lot of knowledge. The reason I asked the question was because there are a small number of drugs that can only be prescribed by a hospital consultant or certain drugs at a particular high dose. It was after I'd posted my question and had time to think about it I realised Amitriptyline couldn't be one of them because my GP had prescribed it and it's on a monthly repeat prescription! If I have the same problem again I will take your advice and complain, then I'll change my pharmacy. Thank you for putting this in perspective for me.
  • Posted

Hello Matron,

hope you are keeping ok and getting good results from the increased Amy.

Kingjerry has made a very good point,   I do agree,  trouble is now-a-days pharmacists are being promoted as the 'Go-To' people what with GP's being so very busy and having so many patients to see.  It's a bit of a cop out and does relieve the pressure on system - and I am not knocking the good old pharmacist all together,  they can give very good advice and be helpful in lots of instances,  just maybies getting a bit big for their boots in some cases..........   I would still go ask your man just out of curiosity, see what he has to say,  will give you an idea of his know how / about for future reference if nothing else - and see if he is open to having his words questioned or is going to get a bit shirty about it.    You could always pop into another pharmacy and ask about Amy  and dosage  just to compare opinions.     ( as if you have nothing better to do with your time !!! )   

Stay well and keep warm.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.