Amitriptyline for sleep/depression/anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was prescribed 25mg of amitriptyline to aid me with sleep. I have been struggling with severe anxiety which has affected my sleeping habits. I can barely keep my eyes open by 9pm but I unable to stay asleep. Has anyone had success in using this med for sleep and anxiety reduction?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

If I knew when I was first prescribed amitriptyline what it would do to me I would NEVER have taken it. IT IS VERY ADDICTIVE and the side effects coming off it are absolutely horrendous and I mean horrendous.
  • Posted

I am on 50mg. When I was on the lower dose I was more anxious and the physical symptoms were not going away. Now on the 50mg and sometimes it is difficult to get motivated to do anything. Especially dragging myself out of bed. Takes more effort but glad that the shakiness is disapearing, 
  • Posted

silviab

Yes I take this medication for nerve damage caused by a rare form of Arthritis.

The drug is an antidepressent  and will help you sleep. The dose you are on is small and will only have a small antidepressive effect on you. Although if it is helping you to sleep that is what you need.

The main problem I have with the twenty five mg dose tablet is the taste and the numbness I sometimes get in my mouth, if that is the case here have a small glass of milk to wash it down with

• Posted

Thank you for the info. Do you still take this med and if not did you have any side effects.
    • Posted

I understand my medications are now stable and will be on them for life.

The worst side effect is the taste of the 25mg tablet, the 10mg tablet has a better taste. 

One my tombstone it will say my name and undernieth it will chirp a conisour of nice and rotten tasting medications.

Good Luck with the drug, and keep a hold

• Posted

I have got some dry mouth from it but that is about it. I am able to fall asleep but I am not able to stay asleep so I am not really sure if the med is working. It is also not helping my anxiety and I was given a beta-blocker for which does not help either. I was told to increase the dose but afraid of the hangover feeling in the morning.
  • Posted

Hello Silvia, AMITRYPTALINE is a marvelous drug for sleep deprivation plus Anxiety,however, it has loads of side effects which are not good or nice.

I lived in a drug fueled world for many years whist on this drug, & I found out that when I wished to come off them I could not as they are so addictive.

I have been off them now for about 3. 1/2 months & I am still feelig the withdrawal symptoms from this drug, not nice.

I was on AMITRYPTALINE for 30+ i ASKED MY cONSULTANT many times if I could come off these pills , he said NO.

Eventually in desperation I asked my GP to help me come off them which she did & I was then prescribed PROZAC 20MG twice daily which are marvelous, however I still awke at least once during the night , but I am willing to put up with this rather than take the dreaded AMITRYPTALINE.

To easily prescibed by GPS when the drug has such bad reactions, its long term that they are bad.

Jackie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.