Amitriptyline head twitching weakness one side of the body

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. Been prescribed amitriptyline for what doctors think could be migraines. i believe is something cervical related. been trying to wean off as i felt awful with it, waking up with a lot of nausea headaches an unwell feeling mostly all day. ive cutted my 10mg pills in 2 , been doing it for 4 days now. im feeling better but have like a twitching nerve/muscle on the top of my head some facial numbness/tingling and all the left side of my body feels like weak, also very anxious. anyone can relate?

thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The nausea and tingling you mention are known symptoms of withdrawal and post-withdrawal. I understand they go away with time. As I am not a doctor, I cannot say how long that will be. Go back to the prescriber of the med and ask how best to manage the withdrawal.

As for you cutting the 10mg pill into two, you should not have the above symptoms if you're taking both halves in one day. If however you're moving from 10mg per day to half of that per day i.e. 5mg per day then you'll get the side effects as you're weaning.

Chat with the prescriber is my recommendation.

• Posted

I cut them in two but only take half at night! my GP just told me to stop taking them without weaning but because im so sensitive to the medication i decided to do it like this. Im also struggling to sleep feel very dizzy/numb when im about to sleep/waking up! not sure if its the medication or a neck problem.

thank you for your reply.

• Posted

The following may help:

Head twitching can be caused by

(1) Anxiety or

(2) Movement Disorders.

With regards to (2), you are correct: it may be related to your neck muscles. This is called CERVICAL DYSTONIA.

There are many possibilities as to why you have this, so I suggest you search INVOLUNTARY HEAD TWITCHING and decide which condition is most likely in your case.

The good news? Nearly all conditions, once diagnosed by a scan or another means, can be treated with medications.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.