Amitriptyline - How long does it take to work?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’ve been on amitriptyline for 5 weeks on 20mg for pressure/tension headaches but still suffering. How long should they take to work? Should I switch to propranolol instead? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It should take effect within a few days, propranolol slows down the heart so it may work better for if your headaches are to do with blood pressure, have you tried a more physical treatment like, accupressure? Ill look more into it if you like
    • Posted

Have you had any more experience with amitriptyline? They are meant to work for pressure headaches so unsure on why they are not working yet. I was on propranolol before for migraine headaches which seemed to work but unsure whether they will work for a more tension type feeling
  • Posted

I would give it a little more time. My neurologist also has me taking 400mg of magnesium and 200mg B2 every day.I might get 1 headache a week but the severity seems to have lessened
  • Posted

Hello,

I tried 25mg of amitriptyline for awhile (6 weeks maybe) as a migraine preventative and to help with tension headaches + anxiety.

Honestly, they made the problems worse for me. That on top of the tiredness and and zombie like feeling, migraines were a lot worse and more frequent. When a migraine struck, it crippled me whereas beforehand, I could kinda get through the day with mid-level migraines.

I have been moved to 80mg propranolol and I have to say, so far a lot better. Almost relief the next day, maybe 60% less severe.

My migraines are definitely blood pressure related due to anxiety.

I have been switched to Sertraline to go with the propranolol but not yet started.

• Posted

I’ve gone onto propranolol now just waiting to see if they work.
  • Posted

You should have had some results by now, if your going to switch seek advice you may need to reduce the ami slowly to avoid the withdrawal type symptoms x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.