Amitriptyline & IBS. Any advise?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all

?I asked a question a few weeks ago about Ami which I have been prescribed (10mg) for sleeping/IBS and received some interesting replies.  I would like to know of your experiences taking this drug if you have IBS.  Any advice and do you feel it helps? 

?I'm very glad to have found this forum. 

Many thanks for your replies

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, didn't know you could get Amitriptyline for IBS, my wife takes and reckons she can't sleep without it, it's supposed to be one of the best anti depressants, I take 5htp which helps me sleep.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me what dosage your wife takes and how long has she been taking it.? Also any side effects?
    • Posted

Hi, she takes 10mg, not for IBS, takes it for sleep problems, been taking for about 10 years and no side effects.
  • Posted

My PCP recommended Ami to me but not for IBS -- for sleep problems (I have anxiety). 10mg. However, I never took it. Its an older drug and does have some possible side effects. 
  • Posted

Hi Karen. i was prescribed this by my gastro consultant a couple of years ago for ibs(d). it is supposed to help with the stomach pain, but more importantly, if your ibs is diarrea dominant like mine, it has an anti-cholinegic effect. this means it slows down the part of the brain that controls the digestive system(bowels).  i started on 10mg for a few weeks, then went upto 20mg which i had been on a long time with great effect at slowing my bowels down & therefore the stomach ached reduced too. i had a flare of combined ibs & colitis in november so my gp increased my ami to 30mg & i also took some oral steroids for 2.5wks as the ami alone wasnt settling things down (it wouldnt if it was colitis too), & i have been fine again since i tapered off the steroids. they also help my sleep but not so i am a zombie in the morning!  when i started them for about 1-2wks i felt really tired & fuzzy in the morning (you take them about half hour to an hour before bed) but as i was advised by my consultant, this did wear off after that initial couple of weeks. when i increased my dose to 20mg (my consultant wanted me to keep increasing unitl they slowed my bowels down) i did get a week of the tiredness/fuzziness in the morning but not as bad as when i first started them & it wore offf again after a week. for me, as far as my ibs is concerned the ami has been brilliant. i now only go about 3 times a day & only have 1 episode of diarrea most days which i can cope with, as it is predictable & not so urgent as before i took the ami. hope this helps x

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. It's good to know that the Ami has helped your IBS.  I will persevere and continue taking it. So far so good, it's definitely helping me to sleep and I am now feeling more positive.

?Keep well.

• Posted

Hi All

I have had ibs since I was 18 - it’s the type where I am unable to go to the loo for days.. so I’m constantly constipated. My doctor has tried me on various anti depressants for sleep, she put me on 20mg a night for my sleep and back problems. I believe that the Amytriptilyn are making me more constipated? Does anybody know if anyone else has had this problem? If so is it best to stop the Amytriptilyn? 

I’ve tried so many meditations an just wish I stuck to never taking any type of anti depressants now.. 

sad 

Thanks

Carla 77417

• Posted

Hi, if your constipated, have you tried coconut oil or olivr oil?, I have a tablespoon or two of coconut oil and olive oil per day, definitely seems to make you more regular, another thing seems to make a big difference, when you go to toilet if you put your feet on something so your knees are raised high above your hips I use 5 litre emulsion container, this puts you in the natural squatting position, the colon has a sort of bend/kink in it when your squatting this bend straightens out, and I reckon it also send a signal to the brain to move things, it definitely works.
    • Posted

Hi Martin 

No I have not tried that so I’ll definitely try the oil.. the medication I’m on does make my stomach terrible.. but I need to take them .. I did try certain vitamins aswell. 

Definitely will try your advice though .. thanks again for your reply much appreciated. 

smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.