Amitriptyline - keeping me awake?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all,

I started amitriptyline 8 nights ago, at 10mg. I take it around 8pm or so, and go to bed around 10-10:30. I have also increased my dosage to 30mg.

I am taking it for nerve pain, and sleeping issues (length/quality).

With the meds, up until last night I find myself waking up frequently after 2am hour. Last night I was in a weird state where I was asleep, but it was light. I wake up exhausted (I have been without the meds too, not sure why but it takes a few hours for me to come around )

What I am trying to figure out is amitriptyline is causing these issues, and if so, is there a possibility they will stop as my body gets used to it? Or is this a clear sign that it isn't for me and messes up my sleep? Many people use this to sleep with no issues, and although I get tired and fall asleep fast, I seem to be waking up in the middle of the night more so than before without the drug.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cerberus 0820,

8 days is not much, you should wait 4-6 weeks to have the full effects. On the beginning your body is still adjusting to the drug. Amitriptyline is an amazing sleep aid, you should be sleeping very well soon! smile

• Posted

So I shouldn't be concerned about the inability to stay asleep? I've read a lot of people get the sleepy benefits early on, and that isn't happening for me.

I'm doing 30mg, should I go back down 20? I was very groggy this morning, more so than the other days I've done 30, so not sure. I played around with dose and don't have many other side effects at 30. Just not sleeping well, and very tired this morning.

• Posted

Cerberus0820, you shouldn’t change doses without speaking to your doctor. The effects take a while to appear, and the doses are readjusted slowly so the body can adapt. Doses make a lot of difference in the body, don’t do that yourself! If I were you I would stick to the dose your doctor told you to until you can see him again. Be sleepy and tiered during the day is a common side effect and you might experience that some days more, some days less. I take for migranes control and sleep aid and found out that 5mg works for me, so every person is different! Listen to your doctor always and have patience on the treatment cause the full effects takes time.
  • Posted

Maan, if I were you, I would keep as low as possible. Amitriptyline has many side effects that you will just see with time! Specially weight gain. And eating the same, so it does not matter if you feel hungrier or not. So, as low as better. See if 10mg works for you, take your time, if not 20mg maximum. Thats all you need for pain and as a sleep aid. My doctor said that as higher the dose it can have the opposite effect for sleeping. 
  • Posted

I actually couldn’t wake up in the mornings for about 8 weeks after starting 25mg. My husband adjusted his working hours so he could get my son out to school & I could sleep. The few times I forced myself to get up I felt like I was weak & lightheaded & I actually couldn’t function at all but I persevered as I had heard it would pass and it did. I also had the most vivid dreams during this time & I wouldn’t normally have too many dreams. 

It didn’t work for me painwise though so I ended up coming off them after a few months. 

• Posted

hi. It only has a 12 hr effect so your maybe taking it too early? seems you're waking up 6hrs in. Try taking it at 10pm & seeing if that helps. Most people feel a bit slow coming round in the morning ,but this effect appears to have worn off on me. I now wake up & am up out in to the shower within 15 mins. This used to take me almost 45 mins to come round fully. I too am taking it for nerve pain & am only taking 20 mg the same time every night. 10pm.

The thing I have found though is I'm getting a headache sometimes around mid morning, which I think is related to the Amyltriptaline as it has only happened since I've upped my dose from 10 - 20 mg

• Posted

I know this is an old thread but was wondering if your sleep got better with time? I also find that amitriptyline keeps me awake or in a very light sleep. Not sure whether to stick with it or go back on betablockers for migraine prevention.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.