Amitriptyline starting dose for trapped nerve.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have MS, and what liitle distance i can still walk, it'st a strange Frankenstein type shuffle, resulting in damage to my spine, and a pelvic tilt. The past six months or so the pain in my right hip has worsened, then becoming intense pain in my right buttock, outside right calf, and right ankle. Physio is convinced I've a trapped nerve, caused by spinal problem (herniated disc he thinks) I now can hardly put any weight on my right side as the pain causes my leg to contract. Results if xrays not with GP yet. He has put me straight away onto 25mg of Amitriptyline at night. Is this a too high starting dose? Feeling like a zombie in the morning, and after seven days no pain relief at all. Co-codamol doesn't work for me, and Tramadol likewise had no effect. I'd really appreciate your thoughts. Many thanks.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello cat. I started on 20mgs but I think 25mgs is a dose patients do start taking. You'll probably start to feel less like a zombie in a week or two as your body gets used to it.
    • Posted

Thanks Matron. I'll keep on keeping on.
  • Posted

Hi cat

Sorry to hear you have MS i take 40mg per night I started on 30 mg last April I still get the hangover effect every morning it wears off I find if take it the same time every night 8.30 and go the bed around 12am I can get a good night sleep.

I take it for chroinc lower back pain it's the Only drug I've found that works for me

It takes around 4-5 weeks for the drug to work

• Posted

Thanks Marshall. I'm looking forward to the weeks passing, and the pain becoming manageable... success through a positive mental attitude... I hope biggrin
  • Posted

If you really are not coping with 25mg, your GP can give you some 10mg tabs to get used to first and then gradually ease you up until you get pain relief hopefully. If it is just intolerable or not working then DO tell the GP and they can try something else. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.