Amitriptyline-Urgent help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just been given some amitriptyline as I have been to the walk in centre,the doctors, a&e and back to the doctors twice more with agonising pains. These pains are lower abdominal pains and lower back pains, it has been put down to a stone in my pelvis and two cysts on my ovaries. I had neproxan and that did not work at all. The pain is off and on but when it's on I'm screaming in pain and crying for help. I went back the doctors today to see if he could give me anything stronger as I'm allergic to codine and penicillin and he's given me amitriptyline, I'm just wondering whether I'd be okay taking it as I have seen that it could cause more abdominal pain on the leaflet. Please someone help I've got no options left.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Been on it for a year. Started out with 25mg. Was feeling shaky at first but no pain. Then was experiencing some more pain so it was increased it to 50 mg. The anxiety, pain, and frustrations dealing with things such as weakness, low energy and dizziness just have been (I think) really bad side affects. My doctor is making sure I haven't any heart issues. I've had ultrasounds, blood tests, x-rays, CT scan...this crap just continues. Don't get me wrong. It really helped in the beginning but wonder about long time use. Don't want to be on this forever. I'm a lousy patient.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am a lousy patient too nothing seems to be working but I will have a go at this, if this doesn't work I will have to go back againsad.

• Posted

It's hard to tell someone else what to do, but let's say it was me. If I was in that much pain, I would take it for now to just tide me over until I could get treated for the problems that are causing the pain. But definitely insist on getting the abdominal pain, and the cysts sorted out asap. I took amatriptyline for migraine. A low dose. I never got abdominal pain. It worked really well for migraine in a very low dose. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Yeah I've been back about 5 times to see if they can do anything as I am screaming in pain. If this doesn't work I will have to go back.

• Posted

Hi a stone in yr pelvis means nothing. You need to see a gynaecologist/urologist and find out exactly what you have. If you have a renal stone (kidney) and it's on the move it I can be incredibly painful. Very, very short term amitriptyline probably won't do any harm if you can tolerate it but see someone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.