Amitriptyline use after Clonazapam

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was taking 5 mg Clonazapam for 7 years to help with sleep issues. It began to create other issues for me so I decided it was time to come off of it. I never realized it would be such a difficult process. I have been off Clonazapam for 7 months. However I have periodic bouts of insomnia and slight nausea. My doctor has prescribed 20 mg Amitriptyline to help me sleep but the dosage was far too strong so he cut it down to 10 mg. I am determined not to take the 10 mg dose unless I absolutely need it. My doctor said it was alright to use it on an "as needed" basis. My fear is that I will become dependant on it. Has anyone had a similar expereince and how did you deal with insomnia?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

Insomnia is terrible, be careful with Amnitriptyline, it is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS if you take too many. Please be careful x

• Posted

You sound so negative, why? What experience have you had with Amitriptyline?
  • Posted

Hi Debbie

Amitriptyline isn't addictive and 10mg is a tiny dose - it is prescribed at 75-200mg for depression, 10-50mg for sleep. Honestly it's a tiny does. You won't become addicted. I think it will just help you get back on track. It isn't like regular sleeping tablets in that it doesn't lose it's effect and you don't become dependent.

Good luck x

• Posted

Holly,

Thank you for your comments. I guess I am having difficulty convincing myself that I am not replacing one additction with another one. I would really prefer to be off any medication.

• Posted

Hi Debbie

I know how you feel - I would rather not be on anything too. But try to go easy on yourself, you can't change the past only focus on the future. I know many people have had luck with replacing benzos with amitriptyline, and then coming off medication altogether

x

• Posted

Thank you Holly. At times I think maybe I've expected too much from my body at the age of 56. I touched bases with my doctor yesterday. He wants to send me to a sleep speciaist and he also suggested hormone replacement therapy because I asked if the nausea and insomnia could be a part of menopause ...... Best to you as well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.