Amitriptyline...use for sleep problems?

Posted , 45 users are following.

My mum was recently prescribed Amitriptyline by her GP. She told me it was to help her sleep, but I have looked up info about it, and it looks like an andtidepressant, that is also sometimes used for migraine.

Q: does anyone else know of it being used for sleep problems? Does it help? What side effects, if any, have you found, and do they improve over time?

3 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I take 50 mg once at night to help sleep and it works for me. I was sick for awhile and was not able to sleep through a night. Since taking it, I have been able to sleep. 
    • Posted

Back to the drawing board so to speak for me, but thanks for your reply.
  • Posted

Helen

I'm new to this forum but it seems lots of you have sleep problems and being prescribed Amitriptyline.

I've had sleep problems for years, due to back pain, but was prescribed what was then (more than 50 years ago - I am now 93!) a sleep drug called Nitrazepam. Because its a benzodiazepine drug it loses its capacity to help sleep but leaves you dependent on it, in fact needing even more.

I was recently prescribed Amitriptyline but it didn't help. Maybe there was conflict between it and Nitrazepam - I  don't know, in fact it gave me feelings of panic.

Wanting to get off drugs altogether, whether addictive or not, I did a lot of research online. This led me to the body's own sleep aid, it's an amino acid in the brain called serotonin, which regulates sleep, mood, and even appetite.

Some foods can produce tryptophan which gets converted into serotonin, but nearly all of that ends up in the gut.

I came across a plant extract that contains something called 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan). As a supplement it has the ability to get to the brain as serotonin. This boost of serotonin can then help with sleep, mood, anxiety, and many other ailments. You can research it yourself online.

I decided to try it 2 months ago using 200 mgs per night. It comes in 50, 100, 200, and 300 mg sizes so best to start with say 100 mcgs if you try it. You can increase it as needed then.

It immediately gave me better sleep, from 2-3 hours I was getting, increasing to 4, 5, and now between 6-7 hrs, waking refreshed, clear headed, and feeling so much better. I actually feel a lot calmer too, although I wasn't looking for that.

I've posted similar information on this forum, having searched it for serotonin posts but found nothing at all about how it helps regulate the body.

So good is it for me that I found it possible to very slowly taper off my sleeping drug, something I've not been able to do before because of withdrawal symptoms. Now, with good sleep and a VERY slow taper, I have come from 10 mgs of Nitrazepam to 8 mgs without any side effects. I hope to continue, perhaps for another 6 months to completely rid my dependence on the drug.

If you try 5-HTP,  bear in mind although it's natural and not a drug, it may not suit everybody, but from many testimonials I have read about  it, most are positive.

Good luck!

• Posted

All the pams are nasty.  Kept meaning to look up 5-HTP and St Johns Wort.  Maybe I should have tried these first.  The main thing about me continuing with Amitryptaline is that even if I decide to cease them due to nightmares in a few wks, I will then expect to experince them for much longer.  I only wanted preventative for migraines and accompanying anxiety, not for sleeping.  Keep in touch.
    • Posted

Hi . I take 150mg at night . If I take any less I can't sleep . It's a drug that I can't see myself not needling. I never knew that it was addictive. X

• Posted

Hi all I've been on amitryptyline for about 15 years. I take 50mg at about 8.15 every night. I'm finding 3 or 4 hours later I'm still wide awake. They make me so tired all the next day. I am going to the doctors this week to see if I can come off them. I know it won't be easy but I don't think there helping me at all.

• Posted

I took Amitriptiline for sleeping problems for about a year. It helped me with the sleeping but the side effects were horrendeous and were only getting worse with time. Side effects include extreme tirednes( was unable too face basic everyday duties because of it), excessive sweating, hallucinations, massive weightgain (thats impossible shift off). Awful drug to be on!!!
  • Posted

I have taken Amitriptyline for many years. I can count on one hand how many bad nights sleep I have had over 6 years. So yes it herlps sleep in my opinion.
  • Posted

Hi Helen yes amitriptyline is often prescribed for sleep usually at 10mg. I take tablet at 8 pm and go to bed about 10.30. I go to sleep easily. If I don't take tab for a few nights can't get to sleep at all. Best take during the evening x

• Posted

Hi l was prescribed10mg for sleep problems as l am taking alepam 30mg l find them helpful as l have very bad tinnitus ,but they do cause a dry mouth in also take it about an hour before bed time otherwise she will be to groggy in the morning .hope this helps 
  • Posted

Hi Helen.

I take it for neve and muscle pain. I had a dvt and 2 PE and get swelling and leg pain. It's helped me relax especially at night. Just started 20mg feel great so far x

• Posted

Hi L47,  not now on any drugs. Whatever I was going thru has reduced dramatically. No migraines now.  Anxiety continues which I am always trying to address. Am leaving my job soon which I believe is the biggest problem. Reading lots of mindfulness books at present. Sleeping is a nightmare from not going asleep which is a new issue to waking up thru the night and rarely later than 6 am. Have just spent 2 weeks on hols in UK. Too much alcohol for me and eating abt 8 to 9 pm. I can now get back into a routine but always eat late after work. Will cut out alcohol and eat by at least 7 pm. I know these will help. I’ll reasses antidepressant on leaving work as then hopefully the work related nightmares may end. Wish I could get used to this mindfulness stuff! Pleased it is working for you. Ps. When on Amytrip it put me to sleep easily but I still woke up a few times in the nite, with the nightmares! 
  • Posted

Just don't know about long term side effects since I only dosed for 2 days.

Yes, very nice sleep aid, effects kick in slowly.

Others said it all about side effects. I say it impact stamina negatively badly, when I found out during my exercise the next morning.

So I believe when there's no physical exertion the next day, it is better a sleep aid than diphenhydramine. Advising eating sleep aid with empty stomach, this way tolerance doesn't build up for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.