Amitriptyline Users

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I am posting just to get a feel for experiences that others have had whilst using Amitriptyline, whether it has helped AND how long you were using for. I suffer badly from tension style headaches which develops into a strange hard to describe pressure in the head (behind eyes and around temple) slight neck pain and a feeling of dizziness / unbalance. At it's worst I seem to have problems in placing my feet (whilst using a treadmill it became near impossible) and a strange feeling of 'disconnection' from my environment which again is very difficult to describe.

I have seen doctors / neruologist and had an MRI scan which thankfully came back clear. I was prescribed with Amitriptyline 10mg daily in order to reduce the headaches, my questions are:

Has anyone been prescribed with this drug for these symptoms and did it help - if so how long were you using it for ?

Does anyone know the potential root cause of this awful head pressure, and anything I could do myself to relieve it ?

Thank you in advance for any responses. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes I had the same symptoms. I started on 10 mg and it seemed to start working after a couple pf weeks. I also take 400 mg of magnesium and 200 mg of B2. I have since increased my dose to 20 mg
  • Posted

Hi Crispy, have you had a scan fnr your neck? And are you taking any other medications before being put on Amit?
    • Posted

Hi again Crispy, I was originally prescribed these for head pain, after an mri, it showed wear and tear in my neck, which caused cervagenic headaches which brought on migraines, photophobia and other neuro symptoms. I have suffered alot with the symptoms you describe. Unfortunately for me the side effects from my meds were misdiagnosed which resulted in me being put on a cocktail off meds which increased symptoms and resulted in the dosages being upped. Please be careful and would strongly advise you to get any neck issues checked.
  • Posted

Reading your post I'm actually stunned that you've described my symptoms, that I've described to my GP. Especially that feeling of disconnected to your surroundings. This almost feels like I've been shoved slightly. The feeling of tightening/ pressure behind my eyes & of my head. I too have had clear scan from nurology .currently im taking 10mg of Amyltriptaline for nerve pain & have been now for 8 weeks. There has been a slight reduction /improvement of symptoms . Although I don't like the way it leaves a taste in my mouth on waking. I never wanted to take these as am anti meds & struggle to take even paracetamol. I've committed to take them for 6 months to see if they help. But if it's just neglible I will be coming off them. I'm not sure , but I have felt a bit grumpy since being on them & a bit lifeless. Some people swear they help , so it just may be me & my attitude go all meds. If it's that bad it's worth a try . You can always come off them if they don't help ? But you will need to take them for 4 weeks to even notice any changes .

• Posted

HI,

Many thanks for responses and advice, I've not taken any medication prior nor scan on my neck. I have noticed when feeling bad my neck does tend to ache a little but is bearable - what I struggle with is the head pressure / brain fog feeling which is horrible. Jacqueline interesting to hear someone else describe the same symptoms, iv'e not noticed any real problem so far using Amitriptyline other than leaving me with quite a dry throat in the morning.

Felt fine over the weekend other than a bit tired which I can handle, back to work tomorrow for another fun week of battling head pressure / dizziness sad

• Posted

I took 10mg of antriptaline to help me sleep and I have every other symptom mentioned here. Brain fog. Pressure headaches. Neck cramp on the right side. Pretty much Always. Tension headaches. Dizzyness the lot. Had a clear ct scan and im happy about that but I want an mri to help work put the problem. I'm on the road to getting one. Waiting on the nurologist but these symptoms have me so scared I feel I'm about to die. It's terrifing sad it's been 3 hours from I have taken the tablet and I am still wide awake and still have a minor headache even with naroxan in me. They are a pacription only into inflammatory 50mg. -_- I really just want to feel normal sad I'm 23. All other kids my age are running mad on all types of crazy drugs, smoking and drinking every weekend. I do none of the above. Wish I felt as good as Ibe been -_-

• Posted

Hello,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing these problems at a young age. I think I have been feeling like this for the past couple of years (am 42), I actually find excerising sometimes helps to reudce the head pressure. After work I like to go to the gym a couple of time a week for an hour or so. Feel much happier and almost like a noraml human being again.

During the week on workdays it feels as if my head is full of cotton wool and a tight belt is slowly clamping round my head sad

• Posted

Hi,

My husband has been on this medication for years and he still get's migraine headaches but not every day as before.  He does not suffer any side effect from it as far as we see.  He went off of them a few years ago and he did not have any withdrawal symptoms.  I can't remember what the dosage is but perhaps if he increases the dosage it would be to his benefit.  I will have to ask him to speak to his doctor about that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.