amitriptyline & weight gain

Posted , 71 users are following.

Hello,

Ive been taking amitriptyline for about a year for chronic tension headaches and i'm convinced they have made me gain weight. I've always kept an eye on my weight and i know how it can vary from day to day, but i always remained 2lb's either side of my ideal weight.

Since taking amitriptyline i've gained over half a stone, I even gained weight while trying to loose it! I've been eating around 1200 calories a day and still nothing!

I have asked several times at the doctors about this, and they all say that amitriptyline is not known for weight gain, but when looking on the internet it says that it is a well known fact, so i am quite confused.

Any help or advice would be great.

5 likes, 129 replies

129 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I put on 36lb over thirteen years on Amitriptyline 75mg I craved sweet things, my Dr said it is a common side effect. I have recently stopped taking this drug, I done this very slowly, the cravings have stopped along with some of the other undesireable side effects, and i am slowly losing the weight. If you can find another drug or something else that works for you i would.
  • Posted

I have been takin amitriptyline for nearly a year. I started on 10mg but it has now increased to 50mg. At first I didn't notice the weight gain but. Over the last month I have increased a dress size. I haven't got increased appetite. I always feel tired and sluggish.. I have a fused disc and slight osteoarthritis. I have been advised by my gp and a private consultant that a facet joint injection with pilates and water based exercises would help. I am not 40 yet but I feel so old. The weight gain just adds to by constant frustation. I am so glad I found this forum.
    • Posted

i have a slipped thoriac disk into the chest, very painful and feel sick all the time. i started on Amitriptyline over 4 years ago and i am on 100mgs at night and 50mg at lunchtime for breakthrough pain as well as MST morphine, i have to stop wearing the Transtec morphine patches because i was putting them on over already burned damaged skin because you have to wear them quite high up.  Anyway, i have put on nearly 3 stone of weigh and can't get it off. My dr gave me orlistat to help with the weight loss but nothing has worked.  I am coeliac adn i follow a low fat carb free diet..... at my wits end, how did you cope reducing your amitripline?
    • Posted

Hello Kitty, I have had chronic back problems for 45years.  I have broken my back, had surgery for Laminectomy & Fusion, then again Nerve decompression, so I was on AMITRPTALINE for pain control & I was on MST, which has now changed to ZOMORPH. I was also on an IBUBROFEN & VOLTAROL for many years, which eventually caused me to have several Strokes, My GP immediately took me off them because they are a main cause of Stroke. I asked my GP for help to come of the AMITRYPTALINE, she put me onn PROZAC ( FLUOROXETINE twice a day 20mg & that is what as helped me to relax my spine & come off AMITRYPTALINE ( Thank Goodness) it has been hard but, I have persevered & it has been worth it. No more weight gain, no more feeling drugged up or tired, so my weight is now dropping normaly & I am not sleeping my life away. Good Luck for your future, Injections have also helped me, plus keeping warm & breathing with the pain control that I have bbeen taught, it all helps.

Kindest regards Jackie

• Posted

I so know what you're talking about.  I have gained 1 1/2stone since being on these tablets.  This is now the third time tis has happened. Am speaking to the doctor tomorrow as this can't carry on anymore.  Have tried diets, exercise everything, nothing is having any effect.
  • Posted

Hi have been taking this drug for two months now to deal with crippling anxiety and panic attacks which have resulted in my trapezius muscle going into spasm and trapping a nerve which has resulted in limited painful movement in my right arm/shoulder. The drug has helped with the above issues but has also resulted in weight gain of approx 10 pounds which is not helping my arthritic knees and hipsad as I am not yet 50 this is a bit of a downer for me and would much appreciate any advice on alternatives as I seem to have exhausted all the alternative remedies 
  • Posted

Hi all!  I have been taking amitriptyline for about 7 weeks have gained 14 lbs.  It seems to have helped me with my headaches but on the down side I've gained unnecessary weight.  Any suggestions on weaning off?  My dose is 30 mg.  can I go cold turkey or should I decrease 10mg at a time?  My diet is exactly the same as pre-amitriptilyne.  I run 2 miles every other day and this week alone I gained 3.8lbs 😔.  Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  I ONLY take amitriptilyne and no other medications besides my vitamins.  Thanks in advance.
    • Posted

I am like you. However, amytriptilline did not lessen headaches. Botox did. Now I need to wean off my 50 mg dose. After 14 yrs of miscellaneous treatments, Botox was the answer. 

• Posted

Hi, please have a look at my reply of about 10 minutes ago to clowny.

I don't recommend going 'cold turkey' as you may experience withdrawal symptoms. I am, at this very time, titrating from 30mg of NORTRYPTILINE - an alternative to Amitriptyline which had side effects that were a problem for me, and the Nortriptyline was given to try instead - but I am reducing by 10 mg (20 mg dose in total )for 4 days, then another 10 mg (10 mg dose in total) for 4 days, then ZERO. I have agreed this with my own GP first. Good luck. X

• Posted

I been taking amitriptyline for more than a year, I was eating a lot, but I lose 20 ib. maybe everyone have a different chemistry in his body.
    • Posted

I am about to start taking this drug to stop debilitating migraines. I had weight gain issues with Propranolol which caused me to put on 2 stone (which I lost after coming off it) so was reluctant to start another preventative medicine that could cause weight gain. I'm pleased to hear you did not find this to be the case. I am going to monitor my weight very closely as I start taking it. I hope I find that like you this doesn't happen tom me again!
  • Posted

Definitely linked with weight gain. I have no doubt about it. seconded by my psychiatrist as well.
  • Posted

I have been taking amitryptilline for almost 5 months for interstitial cystitis. I started at 25 mg and now am at 100mg. It works very well, my pain is so much less now. However, I have gained 30 lbs with no end in sight. Exercise would be great, but I am exhausted from this med. I could sleep 24/7 and still be tired. Also have major dry mouth and dry eyes.I have to go off this, can not handle being obese. I also can not handle the pain of interstitial cystitis however, and I have exhausted all of my options. This is the first thing that worked. I am so discouraged over this. Really don't know what to do. Any dr that tells you weight gain is uncommon is very ill informed. Weight gain of 25-30lbs is typical in most patients. I am also having a relapse of depression, despite being in antidepressants. Not sure if it is the fatigue and weight gain, or the bed itself that is causing it. Basically, I am pain free, but fat and miserable. 😞
    • Posted

I also have intersitial cystitis.  I was on amitryptlline for 1 year until my urolgist started giving me Kenalog injections in my bladder.  I did gain weight and started getting depressed about it, that is why I talked to my doctor in regards to this.  Linda

• Posted

Hi sue b

I'm really grateful you have written about your experience. I've struggled with my weight for years, I've lost ten stone and a bit to go. I reckon my doctor is Ill informed because of this. He oversees my weight loss so why put that in jeopardy.

I do sleep better as a result of this medication but pain during the day not so much. Good thing is its knocks me out to sleep ;D

Coco

• Posted

Hi Coco,

So glad I found this site and post.

Same here. The fact that it sends me off to sleep straight away is a Godsend. My doctor prescribed Amitriptyline to help me sleep through the night as my back pain was keeping me awake. I've been doing water Arobics 5 times a week , boxing and running and when I saw another Doctor at the same practice he told me I needed to go to Weight Watchers and didn't even look at the notes to see which medication I was on. It left me in tears. Is there another medication to help sleep besides sleeping pills?

• Posted

I know how you feel, i have a slipped thoraic disc, i am 100mg amitriptyline at night and 50mgs at lunchtime for the pain as well as being on MST Morphine, i am pain free but very heavy, i am only 5ft....
    • Posted

Im the same ive been taking amit for over a a year and ive put on.two stone a bit like a lot of other people on.here ive always stayed a few lbs either side of my normal weight but not since being on these i now live on shredded wheat homous rivita and chicken salad for dinner and still making no difference at all !!and last year i exercised religeously every other day but nothing still kept gaining!!im lowerimg mu dose gradually as i cannot handle being this big its making me miserable xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.