Amitriptyline- when should I take it?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Today I went to the Doctors and they finally took me seriously about how I've been feeling for the last 8 months, and my doctor prescribed me amitriptyline to help me sleep better. I often work until 1030pm and get home around 11pm, and I drive to and from work, so I was wondering when it's best to take my prescribed dose as I don't want to be drowsier at work but I want to take it at a consistent time.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

They usually say the effects last 12 hours and to take a couple of hours before you want to go to sleep
  • Posted

take an hour before bed.. that way it will help with sleep also.  Dont take during the day as it can cause drowseyness..  Expect sleep issues for a few weeks until it gets into your system, but after that its great.. really helps. But watch what you eat.. makes you hungry and you will put weight on if you're not careful.  Thats the only side effect i have ever had with it once you get over the initial 2 week settling in period.
    • Posted

Thank you cheesygrin^ I will ensure that I have fruity snacks at work to try stop myself buying snacky food (I work in a supermarket) after work.
  • Posted

This is the CFS group. Your doctors seems to think you are depressed? Is that correct?
    • Posted

Amitriptyline is used to treat nerve pain, sleep problems and generally with CFS they use it in small doses ... itw was orogonally used to treat depression but has been replaced with the newer drugs now. 
    • Posted

They don't think I'm depressed and amitriptyline is no longer used to treat depression. My doctor is going to talk to me in a couple of weeks about referring me to our local ME clinic. 
    • Posted

No, this drug is not for depression only,  but works very well for pain...I actually take same for Fibromyalgia pain....it is The Only drug that takes away the "burning" pain that I get in my muscles....Bron
    • Posted

Yes, I too have had it for pain. It is a much lower dose than for depression. Years ago I had a very high dose of it in an attempt to counteract multiple side effects from four pills three of which were meant to counteract the ill effects of the first. The Amitripteline was ineffective in that application.

My point is that doctors too frequently treat CFS and ME as depression. Some do not admit their purpose. This needs to be kept in mind.

• Posted

I am glad of that development, not that I would wish ME on anyone. However, if it is ME it is very important to have diagnosis. Recovery is possible. There is no magic pill. With great care, perseverance and fortitude recovery from ME is possible.
  • Posted

l was prescribed it when diagnosed with intersticial cystitus, as are most with same problem, its a known nerve end calmer, and when used as anti depressant was also found to reduce frequency, which was a help to women with ic who can need to go regular and that irritating inflammation. But with ic you only need a small dose to help, re l0m, for depression it can by 50plus, and 10 still helps you  sleeping better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.