Amitriptyline with Cannabidiol (CBD)?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Does anyone have experience of using CBD at the same time as amitriptyline? I'm currently on 20mg per day of ami but want to try CBD as an alternative. Do I need to taper off the ami first? Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I use CBD Oil alongside Pregabalin with no problems - I am tapering off Pregab and CBD is helping with the withdrawals. I know of one friend who is on Amitrip and using CBD with no problems. Just bear in mind that it takes a while of taking the Oil for it to build up and needs patience. If you then want to taper off Amitriptyline do it slowly - even though you are not on a high dose you will still perhaps have some withdrawal symptoms, certainly if you have been on this drug for a long time. Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi there and thanks for your reply. This is good to know! I read recently about the oil taking a while to build up - it can take as long as 6 weeks, apparently - have I got that right? Do you mind me asking how you use the oil (when in the day/how much do you use)? I have received a couple of CBD samples but am at a bit of a loss to know how to get started. I know that everyone is different, but it would be good to hear from someone who is actually trying the CBD. Regarding the amitriptyline, I've been on it for around 4 months - originally on a 10 mg dose, increasing to 20 mg a couple of months ago. My plan is to reduce from 20 to 17.5 mg per night, see how things go for a couple of weeks, say, then reduce by a further 2.5 mg daily, which I hope will turn out OK.

• Posted

Yes, it can take up to 6 weeks or so to build up in the body. I am not allowed to say where I buy mine on this forum unfortunately but there is a lot to choose from and finding what will work best for you is trial and error. I tried 3 levels of the oil before I settled on one, I use 3 drops under the tongue 3 times a day Hold it there for a couple of minutes and then swallow). Some taste nicer than others!! There are various strengths to choose from and the lower strengths did not work for me. I will see if I can private message you and then maybe I can give you more info. As for the Amitriptyline, you are wise to taper off as you say with a couple of weeks in between to see if you have any withdrawals. If you are fine on 2.5mgs after 5-7 days just carry on down but not 2.5mg daily - that may well be too much for your body to cope with so leave gaps between. Even on the dose you are taking it will not take long before you get to the finish line so try not to hurry it. Good luck biggrin

• Posted

Hi there. This is very helpful and I think I will start the CBD today, at the level you've suggested, and see how I get on.

Re the Amitriptyline, I've reread my earlier post and realise that I worded it very badly and can understand how you read it as you did! I've now reduced from 20 mg to 17.5 mg and intend to continue to reduce by 2.5 mg per day (not daily), allowing two weeks at each reduced level before reducing further.

Thanks again for your help. 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth. I'm on pregabalin 75mg once a day. I've just got a cbd oil organic one 1000mg. I suffer with terrible anxiety. Do u think I'm ok tking one drop a day of the cbd oil a day When I'm on pregabalin . I get so frightened of mixing things . I tried asking my doc but they can't tell me as they don't prescribe it . So I've been up and down whether to tk it or not . I don't see any halm in one drop a day . Kind regards Louise x

• Posted

I take CBD Oil (more than 1 drop a day) alongside Pregabalin which I am tapering off from. I have never had a problem. CBD Oil takes a while to know which strain to buy and how many drops will help you. Where did you buy your oil if you don't mind me asking? There are a couple of outlets in the UK that I have used and can verify are good to deal with but I am not allowed to give you links on here I am afraid. If you look back on previous posts here you will read more I have said to others. If you ever wish to come off Pregabalin because you have side effects there is an excellent support group, Lyrica Survivors (Official) Closed you could join where you can find a wealth of information about this drug and what it does to your brain chemistry and central nervous system, also how to safely and slowly taper off it. That is your choice Louise but you may find it helpful. I do hope you are able to sort this out to your best advantage. Best regards, Liz

• Posted

Hi Louise - I have replied to you but my reply is waiting to be moderated. Sorry. Liz x
    • Posted

Hi i m on 25mg of ami and cbd oil has been recommended I m suffering terrible anxiety in a morning I don't want to leave me home do u in ur opinion think it will help

• Posted

Hi there I wonder if you can help. My mum takes a low dosage of Amitriptyline for burning mouth syndrome. I wanted her to try CBD. She spoke to a pharmacist in boots who said not to use CBD with Amitriptyline.

Do you know why they would say this?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi there. I think it's partly to do with the fact that both CBD and amitriptyline are metabolised by the liver, so that taking both together could increase the effects/side effects of either. Also, there seems to be a risk of tachycardia (fast heart rate) and associated conditions if both are used. I made the decision to taper off ami and start taking a very small dose of CBD at the same time, but would never advise anyone else to do the same!

• Posted

I  started CBD for RA symptoms several weeks ago. Rather than take pot luck ordering on line, I went to a nurse I know and she supplies a very effective CBD oil at her cost. I find that taking 1 ml twice daily works for me with joint and body pain with no ill effects but one.  I found that I began to have a terrible time getting to sleep and staying asleep.  Not unlike times that I went off my amitriptyline dose (50 mg for last 15 years).  I had been taking my night dose of CBD at bedtime, so I  started taking it around 4 PM, and that seemed to end the problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.