Amitriptyline withdrawal 3 weeks in ...... help 😩

Posted , 2 users are following.

so ive been on 10mg of amitriptyline for about 3 years for insomnia. Was at the doctors 3 1/2 weeks ago and she recommended i come off it that day and provided zopiclone instead on an as needed basis. She told me on such a small dose just to stop would be fine. about 3/4days later i suddenly became massively anxious, panic attacks, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. This has been going on for 3 weeks straight. i had to go to the ER last week for iv fluids. ive stopped vomiting etc and now have nausea and very high anxiety. im currently alone abroad working and my partner is away for 5 months for work. Dr has now prescribed a bunch of meds saying i have depression and generalised anxiety disorder (im dont feel depressed i just feel exhausted from eating only crackers and water for 3 weeks), which ive not taken, because im almost convinced this could be down the the amitriptyline. ive never had anxiety issues in my life and dont know why i suddenly developed them now. if this is withdrawal will i ever get better. ive lost 13lbs (not worried because i gained while on the ami). should i just start the meds again ? any advice would be welcome because im sprialling and at my wits end

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Heather,,

I see that this post was a year ago, and I just came across it now, but I am coming off Ami with severe withdrawal effects, and I'm wondering how things went for you, and how you are doing now? I'm really struggling... I was on 10mg sometimes 20mg a night, for insomnia, for about 8 years.

Thank you,

Kev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.