amitriptyline withdrawal

Posted , 100 users are following.

Hi all, i have tried unsuccessfully to withdrawal from amitriptyline twice.  every time i get down to 5mg i start with awful symptoms, bad headaches, nausea, belching, abdominal cramps, back ache and  my bowels get so upset they feel like they are swollen i get bloated have wind and abdomen feels bruised. has anyone experienced this also?   

9 likes, 915 replies

915 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh dear! I rather thought I might get away without nausea etc until I was at a much lower dose. How long did it take to settle down? I'm feeling very down with it!

• Posted

I m on 3 weeks tomorrow dropping from 25mg to 15 mg still feel nauseous but that could b part anxiety too
    • Posted

We are all different sometimes i dropped and was fine so dropped again  2 weeks later. I think the nausea lasted a week or so. I made the mistake of going back up to my previous dose on 2 occasions,  so dont do it, just wait xx 
  • Posted

I m now on my 2nd week of reducing to 15mg and 3 weeks of citalopram I feel awful panic attacks anxiety and can't b bothered with anything I no I have to stick it out and another week or so my citalopram should kick in don't no how much more I can take

• Posted

I think it is your Citopram causing the anxiety/panic. I could not stay on it, felt the same way.
  • Posted

I was on citalopram b 4 ami the stupid doc took me off it cos I wasn't sleeping and put me on ami worse tablet in eyes u cud ever take

• Posted

I know how u feel! I also think is prob citalo wd. It took several weeks for massive anxiety to kick in with me, tho seroxat not citalo. Hopefully will improve as you reinstate. I think I had too long a gap before reinstating which made things much worse. Hugs!!
    • Posted

Thank u it's awful isn't it I 've made myself go out today but feel like someone is sat on my chest have an hh so that doesn't help dreading reducing 5mg of ami but hopefully the citalopram will have kicked in by then x

• Posted

My doctor just prescribed Clonidine 0.1 mg to help with my withdrawal from Ami. I just took my first one today and will see how it helps with the anxiety, dizziness and nausea. All my withdrawal symptoms started when I dropped to 5 mg.  I will have to stay here at this mg level until I feel good enough to reduce further.  My doc is also prescribing the Amitriptyline in liquid form so I can reduce easier than cutting the pills.
    • Posted

I think that might be like the propranolol I was given. Did help but I felt v weak. Getting upstairs or up a hill was hard. I was worried it was contributing to severe insomnia but it probably wasn't. I think that was all WD.

• Posted

Propranolol CAN produce insomnia. I was on it and had to stop because of that side effect. I just started Clonidine and am having the same symptom.

I really need help finding something that works for this horrid anxiety that keeps me up at night. Anyone have any suggestions as to what is working for them? Has anyone had to take Ativan-like meds to help with this process? Or will that make matters worse/

• Posted

I tried a sleeping tab but got really scared when i woke up with suicidal thoughts. My anxiety is v bad at the moment too and it's ironic that the Ami helps me to get to sleep. Im very worried about what I'll do without it. Camomile tea is one thing I resort too, but will it be strong enough?

• Posted

This question is for anyone in the forum going through this withdrawal.  I have read that AMI decreases histamine in the body, meaning it is an antihistamine.  I have found that, as I decrease and taper down, the amount of itching on my face has increased terribly and my lips swell for no apparent reason.  I have not eaten anything new that would cause an allergic reaction.  My question is: has anyone had increased histamine release, increased itching of their face (or other body areas) along with lips swelling from excess histamine from reducing their AMI? Have you had to start taking a regular antihistamine? Is itching a common withdrawal symptom? I'm so discouraged from this whole process and I'm no where close to being done with it. Still at 5mg and can't go lower until I level off and the balance/dizziness issues resolve. It's been 4 weeks with the balance issues so far.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Nancy I 've not had the itching I m down to 15mg I think this drug is capable of causing loads of probs my worse is nausea and dizziness tempted to stop altogether can't feel any worse x

• Posted

H nancy, i had increased itching on my legs during my withdrawal  i could scratch them off and it is all fine now so must have been ami.  Amitriptyline in an anticholinergic that blocks the neurotransmitteres that  effect all mucus membrains in the body thus drys them up. Over the counter antihistamine drugs do the same thing, so coming off ami you will have less blockage of the  targeted neurotransmitters so yes more histamine x   
    • Posted

Hi Nancy, Yes I had itching when coming off it, its completely normal and does go away once you are off it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.