Amitriptyline withdrawal

Posted , 2 users are following.

My 16 yr old daughter took 25 mg of amitriptyline for 6 weeks total. 2 weeks after starting the med she began with a migraine. Dr said to up the dosage to 1 and 1/2 pills. She did this for 4weeks   Migraine never stopped until i weaned her off of the med. the day after she stopped the med she started with severe nausea and this has not gone away. It had been 2 months now of severe nausea. We have seen the gastro dr but no medication is working to ease the nausea. The next step is an endoscopy. Has anyone else experienced this and for this long?  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Krista this may be the anticholinergic effects of amitriptyline, I too have struggled with the nausea when i reduced down as i weaned off this medication very slowly indeed. I know your daughter was not on it long but how long did you wean her?  It has taken me  many months to wean off 10 mg. x 
    • Posted

Hi Amanda,  i followed doctors orders and did a half pill decrease every 5 days. So it took 15 days to wean her off completely. She has been off of the med for about 2 months and still having nausea. Doctors now telling me it cant be from the med. we had her tested for h pylori and it was negative. We just saw the dr the other day and now he tells her it is all in her head😡. Im at a loss😢

• Posted

Krista, my Dr also told me my symptoms were in my head and he had never heard of anyone having any problems getting off this drug. I wish it had been and i could have switched them all off. Im sorry but  they are real for us who are a little bit more sensitive to medications. I think the 15 day wean was far too quick which is why she is still suffering. she should dry a sickness drug  like cyclizine so i would go back to the gp. It will get better eventually but will take time xx sorry xx
    • Posted

Thanks Amanda. I will try that. Hopefully things will get better soon. Good luck to you! 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.