Amitriptyline withdrawal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

due to a delay in my gp prescribing and pharmacy delivering it, I ran out of amitriptyline. I only take 30mg at night but my god I've felt rotten since. Absolutely no appetite, diarrhea, return of migraines, disturbed sleep, crazy dreams.. how long does this tend to last for? It's awful but I'm due to try a new medication for my epilepsy and migraines and if I can get past this and not have to chuck as many tablets down my neck ill be happy

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I cannot address you specific question but I learned that (a) you must not stop the med, but taper off it slowly and (b) ALWAYS make sure you have some around i.e. do not run out before getting some more.

Your symptoms may well be due to suddenly stopping the med rather than anything else.

I suggest you go back to Amitriptyline on a lower dose, say on 25 mg for a week and step down slowly before swapping to a new med because if you swap too soon you may have side effects which nobody will know the cause: is it due to a lower dose of Ami or is it due to the new med?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.