Amitriptyline Withdrawal Issues-40 mg

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had been on amitriptyline for 20 years, 40 mg, for headaches. I naively tried to just go off it cold turkey about 8 years ago while I was still working. That only lasted a few nights as I could not sleep. Due to the retirement of my 25 year doctor, I started seeing a new GP this past November. In the course of going over my history, the ami came up and I said I don't know if I really need to take this any more. He suggested tapering 10 mg for a month. When I spoke to him a month later and told him I was doing ok with the 10 mg drop, he said to drop another 10 mg. I did that but was running out of pills so decided to speed up the process and dropped from 20 to 0 in a month. I knew my sleep would be affected, I expected that. But 10 days after the complete stop of ami, my stomach started acting up. It isn't severe, slightly nauseous, no cramping or pain, there is a lot of gurgling. I had some skin itching, back and hip pain (that is pre-existing but seems worse now). Then I started becoming anxious, losing appetite because I am worried this is being caused by something more sinister than withdrawal. On the plus side, my blood pressure has come down and has consistently stayed down except when overly anxious. I could just kick myself around the block for not researching this before going off of it! I would have tapered down a lot more slowly. I truly thought dropping

40 mg would not cause a lot of grief. I am taking Zopiclone 5 mg to sleep, that is helping me get thru this. If I don't sleep, I am afraid of falling down the rabbit hole of depression. I did suffer thru a clinical depression 30 years ago and was on Doxepine for about a year. I don't remember any withdrawal issues and haven't had a repeat depression, thank goodness! I am an anxious person, my doctor thinks maybe the ami was curbing that to some degree and is resulting in the stomach issues. I am trying to persevere thru this but I sure have had thoughts of going back on it. I am 62 so I know it is not a good idea for that reason. I just started taking a probiotic. Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.