Amitriptyline withdrawal - nightmares

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been taking 10mg for nerve pain with a damaged disc and facet joint. I've also been on dihydricodiene and diazepam for muscle spasms.I have been able to stop the diazepam now the spasms have stopped but each time I try to stop the amitriptyline I get horrific nightmares and that's even with trying to phase it out slowly. Is this common and any advice? I don't want to be reliant on these. I have no problem when taking other than the obvious of attempting to function at 6am

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I take 30-40 per night for a year now and I'm still getting nightmares which are scary I can't remember them when I wake up it still takes me a few hours to function during the day I'm worn out this has been since I started on 10mg till I got up too 30-40
  • Posted

My issue is the other way round... I take the tablets, I'm good, I sleep comfortably all night but struggle in the morning. I stop taking the tablet and or have weaned myself down to zero and I get the horrible nightmares, convinced people are in my room and convinced that I've had full blown conversations with my partner. I'm confused because that seems to be the side effects when you take them rather than when you dont
    • Posted

I've heard voices in my head seen people in the dark attacking me with knives have you talked to your GP about withdrawal says on the notes that come with the drugs says don't stop taking them suddenly even at low doses
  • Posted

I had nightmares when I first started taking these but after about three weeks they subsided, maybe coming off of them has the same effect and that your nightmares will settle down over time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.