Amitriptyline withdrawals

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I was prescribed 10mgs of Amitriptyline for post-concussion syndrome 1.5yrs after a motorcycle accident.

I was getting 3 or 4 migraines a week (I'd had them as an adolescent but in adulthood only one a year or something) and after a visit to a neurologist they prescribed this.

I've been on it since (2.5yrs) - and it really helped, no doubt of that - but now I am feel better I want to come off. 

I've tapered it down - 30 a month, 20 a month, 10 a month, 5 a month and now i've had only 0.5 of a pill in 25days. 

And i am going nuts. Really emotional, very very anxious almost to point of panic, insomnia, very vivid dreams, no appetite. 

Have taken a lot of advice but do feel kind of alone with it and just wanted to read about other people's experiences.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi.I see u take amitryp for migraine but are coming off it.My sister and I get them and take Triptans for them.I take Imigran but unsure what she takes.They are great and are only thing that works.Prescription only.Thought this may help.
  • Posted

hi andrew,

I too am weaning off amitriptyline i am currently  taking 5.5mls (liquid) at present and have reduced my 10mg tabs to 7.5mg then went on the liquid so did 7, 6.5, 6 now 5.5mg it has been a slow taper as i suffered horrendous withdrawal previosly. panic is  a withdrawal as too is anxiety , everyone is different but you should see your gp asap.

insomnia is a bad withdrawal this should pass you can try a cherry liquid which you can buy from a herbal shop it is meant to help. i aalso take omega 3 fish oils to help with brain zaps. your not on your own and you will get better.

• Posted

it is made from a certain cherry you can buy it in health shops for insomnia, once i am off amitriptyline if i suffer with insomnia i will give it a go. there was a programme on tv about it recently and it help some people but not everyone, we are all different but i will try it if i get that problem x 
  • Posted

I stopped a year ago. Was on 10 - 20 msg as have osteoporosis and it helped to relax everything. The withdrawal symptoms were bad and for two pins I would have gone back on it but I really don't want to. Still have awful insomnia but just have to put up with that. Was on it for ten years. My daughter has pcs and keeps headaches at bay by making sure she drinks lots of water. Am really pleased I came off it so try to persevere. You can take it every other day and then a couple of times a week and stop that way. Apart from insomnia I am back to normal now so keep going if you can. It's really tough but worth it. Good luck.

• Posted

Hello Andrew, I took Amitriptyline for many years as a low dose, 10mg, at night for migraine prevention. I am now off of them but I went down to 5mg at Christmas and stayed on that dose for 3 months. I halved the tablets and tried then to come off too quickly. Had awful insomnia.  I went back to 5 and then after another month I missed just one day then carried on for a fortnight then thought I'd stop for 2 nights only and then carry on with 5 gradually building up the days without. However, I found that this time I felt so good I didn't take it for a few days and discovered that I am ok now - I'm off of Amitriptyline! My point is that perhaps you've taken the dose down too quickly. I've read other peoples comments on here and some have found that the reduction should be much slower. Perhaps go back to 5 and stay on it for a bit longer then try the way of stopping that I tried second time round. Stopping for a day, then 2 days, etc. I hope you find the way that's right for you soon. All the best.

• Posted

Hi,

I am now 15 days since my last dose and am already starting to feel better. The rollercoaster of emotions has slowed down and the anxiety seems to be fading and no migraines yet, although I did have a low-level tension headache the other day... 

I guess now I am starting to get free of it I won't be going back onto it.

Things that seemed to help me - and these could've just been a placebo effect, I think it was partly due to me feeling I could take steps - St Johns Wort tea (not tincture), lots of protein, lots of fresh fruit, exercise, drinking tons of water, camomile tea in the evening, lavender oil on my pillow and most importantly, reaching out to friends, support network and telling them how I felt. 

Onwards and upwards!

• Posted

Well done! Onwards and upwards indeed!

Lavender oil actually gave me migraine so that isn't something that I can do to relax but I'm having no problem getting to sleep now ... and thus far, no migraines. Feeling good. Thanks for sharing. 

• Posted

And thanks for your supportive words... some things work for some people... case of trying stuff out... I tried valerian and it made me feel awful!
    • Posted

Thats excellent Andrew, well done you. I am currently taking 5mg  of ami and will stay here for 3/ 4weeks before going down again.
    • Posted

I went down to 5mg and then started to miss every other day, then miss two days etc

But it was only when i stopped for 5days in a row that the sXXX really hit the fan!

So, take it easy and even with tapering down expect and prepare for some kind of crash... 

Emis Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

• Posted

Hi Andrew, i do expect to have some withdrawal symptoms which tbh is frightening as they are dreadful but, the gradual reduction 1mg by 1mg is working for me. i tried the other way missing a dat  cutting down by half but the withdrawal is terrible. So, by doing it this way i hopefully will withdrawal when i go from 1mg to 0 and by doing it over a long period my brain should  recover quicker, i hope smile
  • Posted

Andrew I hope you see this. I recently got off of amitriptyline over 1 month ago and at first had same problems of anxiety, no appetite and such. I feel much better since I still don’t feel 100% normal mentally or physically  and was wondering how long it took you to recover and feel normal? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.