Amitriptyline worked while I was pregnant, but I'm getting migraines again since I got my period

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a long history of migraines and have been prescribed amitriptyline in the past and it did not help at all. When I was pregnant I started to get migraines every single day, and my doctor wanted to prescribe amitriptyline-being hesitant I waited, but eventually thought I would try it as I was desperate. To my surprise, I did not have a single headache for the rest of my pregnancy, and not until I was 4 months post-partum when I started getting my period again. Now-I am back to the usual 1-2 migraines a week, and upwards of 4 around the time of ovulation & my period.

I was on birth control in college (regular & low dose) hoping one of those would help them and it didn't seem to-however after I quit taking it they actually got better but it almost seems like they are worse again.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and figured out what helped them.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Kelli, sorry to hear your suffering. As im a man and you women are complex things i just wanted to share my advice...

One of my team members wifes has your kind of issue, that when shes pregnant she doesnt suffer, but as soon as shes had the child they all come back, obviously from my view it has to be some hormonal thing going on. Prescription wise she did try amitriptyline but as we both found other than make me tired and ratty did nothing for us, i think she was moved to Pizothiphen and this helped a little, however be aware when i was on pizo i ate loads and piled it on, so i eventually came off... When you say Migraines are they full on lay down in the bed ones, or just that nagging head pain that slowly grows to the point you need to take a Imigran ( sumatriptan)

FYI ive had more of less every drug they can throw at us 24 years worth, the best 1 i had was Methysurgide but they eventually banned it 😦 so i just cope with taking half an imigran when the nagging pain starts, and sometimes try circumvent this by taking Alka seltzer XS which sometimes works. Im currently on Botox, which to be honest i dont think works... One thing to maybe ask for is the NHS has a new drug called Amivog or Amivig you could try test that ?

I hope your find a solution, its a real downer having this head issue, as as my firends wife said she could get pregnant every year but who wants 20 kids 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.