Amitripyline 50mg side effects

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on Amitripyline since my diagnosis of ME in September 2015. I have found it useless for pain relief and only mildly effective for sleep problems.

Recently I have been experiencing bladder issues, and wondered if it's connected to the use of Amitripyline.

There have been periods where I've run out and been off them for a week, and in that time I found my bladder to be back to normal. Since starting them again a week ago, I have been having issues emptying my bladder fully and a feeling of pressure.

could this be down to the Amitriptyline?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I take 100mg which helps with my sleep but feel the need for much more.

However, taking Melatonin 1mg stops me wanting to take more.

I do have a sensitive bladder - never thought of the connection before...can't do without the Amitriptyline so will have to put up with it!

• Posted

Hi pipsniff,

I don't take any medication but have bladder Issue. Don't know if that helps you.

Beverley

• Posted

Amitrip def affects the bladder, it was initially used as an anti depressant, but also calms nerve endings, through that they discovered it also reduced urine output, which is the reason l was prescribed it, my undiagnosed intersticial cystitus symptoms were out of control, with frequency and pain due to the urine frequently passing throug an inflamed bladder urethra agrevating more, l couldnt sleep due to it, so was put on amitrip to reduce frequency and calm nerve endings. l was initially put on 50mg, which did reduce output and allow me some sleep but too strong for me, woke groggy and out of it. Urologists actually say you only need a small dose to help with bladder probs, so l and most are given l0mg, l use 5mg 2 or 3 times a week or if aggrevated, didnt know it ws used for m.e., thought that a different type of pain, more bone and muscle, but not sure. But def affects bladder.
    • Posted

I get Amitriptyline for helping me get off to sleep but it greatly helps the nerve pain I get which is meant to be fibromyalgia.

Seems like a popular drug of choice!

• Posted

It is commonly given to near all intersticial cystitus sufferers, and l think it does help most in its reduces frequency and dulls nerve pain as in the bladder. and other nerve pain conditions, most do quite well with it, lve not had any problems with it.guess youve got to that level over time till your tolerant of it, if thats what it takes and you can tolerate it, times lve been glad of it.  l think its been around a long time so is well tried and tested. 
  • Posted

Hi pip sniff,

i found your observations on amitriptylene interesting. I don't know about it having an affect on the bladder but I wouldn't rule it out. I find it very useful but don't take it all the time because I don't want to have to keep increasing the dose for it to be effective. It seems to make paracetamol more effective for pain if I take them together. Helps me to sleep as long as I only take them occasionally. Wards of an ulcerative colitis attack if I've had an upset of some kind and my system is 'revved up'. I only have 10mg in stock but I can take 2 if my my pain, insomnia or colitis require it. 

• Posted

Hi Pipsniff.

I don't know is my answer to your question. However, I've had very severe cortico chondritis & was prescribed ''Nortriptiline''  with excellent effect. the Doc. told me that Nortriptline is an update on Amitriptyline. however, it had absolutely NO effect on my awful Interstitial Cystitis (IC) or my insomnia. maybe , it's a case of,  it helps some people and may casue others problems.  if anybody knows of anything that helps IC please let me know. I've tried ''Vesicare'' with no  effect & awful side effects.

C

• Posted

Hi Caitlin,   l guess youve tried most the usual elmiron etc.  have you had any surgical procedures.  My ic still gets aggrevated, been far worse though, but did take half amitrip last night, to help get a decent nights sleep, also had severe shoulder wrist pain, and it did help me get some sleep and shoulder pains eased today, but ic symptoms of a bit of burning a soreness in stomach urethra present. The urologist did offer to dilate and some other procedure, but as my flow and capacity is reasonable l stalled on it, fearing they could aggrevate and make it worse, not unknown after surgical procedures, and l,m prone to infections also, so last resort for me.  Guess youve also cfs fibro, so many go together, lupus also seems to be increasing  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.