Amitripyline for nerve pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All

I'm on Amitripyline 25mg for 2 months now gurgling stomach back pain loss of weight I'm in chronic pain and feet feel numb just can't get any where with anyone because I have loss weight look anoxria burning pain in arms just loss my mum.

Anyone had experience of these symptoms any help will be appreciated.

Lina

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lina

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Mum and understand the grief you feel. From other things you say it leads me to believe you may be very sensitive to Amitriptyline and you might wish to consider slowly coming off this drug as it does not appear to be helping your pain much, if at all. If you do decide to stop taking it, please consult with your GP before doing so as stopping cold turkey can cause withdrawals  which may well make you feel even more poorly than you do now. Don't try upping the dosage, which doctors sometimes advocate, as the side effects you already have are not good at all. I had tummy issues on this and still do even though I stopped taking it after 3 weeks. 

From the little you say it appears you have been given this in an attempt to control chronic nerve pain. Often this is the first drug that is given for this but it does not suit everyone. If you are offered Gabapenten or Pregabalin (UK brand names) please do not take these without doing research on them. They are often next in line if Amitriptyline does not work or suit the patient. These two are hard hitting drugs that come with severe side effects, even though they make temporarily help the nerve pain. They change the Brain Chemistry and central nervous system into closing down the Pain Receptors but come with a quick dependence and can affect memory causing brain fog, loss of memory, balance issues and many more. They were originally used to control Seizures but when it was realised that they helped with nerve pain were given out for that too. Sudden stoppage of these can actually cause seizures so great care is needed in tapering off them slowly. Please do your own research if these are offered so that you can make a considered opinion before taking them.

I think certainly you need to speak asap with your Doctor about the side effects you are experiencing with Amitriptyline and, bearing in mind that you are obviously grieving the loss of your Mum, you really do need help and support and this time. I am sorry that you are going through such difficult times and hope that your Doctor will listen and offer the right help to you. Please let us know how you get on and I will keep you in my thoughts

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth

I have MS and just spoken to my nurse she seems to think its the heat that are making my symptoms worse as my legs are weak as well she has suggested staying on 25mg as I am sleeping doesn't want to give steroids or up my medication she said there are alot of MS sufferers suffering from the heat and with my the passing of mum I have a lot going on I am also on pregablin been on that for 4 years and was reducing it but then I had problems with my left arm been diagnosed with brochiectatis and that can cause the weight loss I have to persevere till I see my gp next week will be speaking to bronchiectasis nurse from BLF tomorrow.

Thanks

Lina

• Posted

Hi again

I am pleased that you have good back-up Lina but sorry you have MS. It is hard sometimes to read a bit of someone's story to say and advise the right things so forgive me for jumping the gun. I do however strongly believe that Pregabalin causes far more problems than it resolves even though the medical profession do not ...yet! As I said, everyone reacts differently to each drug and if it works for you, long may it continue. I am currently tapering slowly off Pregabalin from 200mg a day to 45mg daily. I had a severely trapped sciatic nerve after my lower 3 vertabrae crumbled due to Osteoporosis but even though it relieved the awful pain I would rather find a more natural remedy route to help it. Slow and sure and I am getting my memory back, able to resolve problems now that I could not whilst on a higher dose, my balance issues are getting better but the itching all over is driving me nuts! Amitriptyline triggered a rare form of Glaucoma (sudden onset acute angled narrow closure) in me and so I must never take it again. Within 38 hours I nearly lost the sight in my right eye. Emergency laser eye surgery brought the pressure in my eyes down thankfully and now I just have to have 6 month checkups. We are all individuals and medications can affect us in very different ways.

I wish you well and hope that you improve over time with or without your medications. 

• Posted

Hi Lina I am so sorry for your loss.  Yes Amit affected my stomach, gave me burning legs and arms.  That numbness you mentioned, I had a lot of tingling down my right side, a bit like the feeling you get when pins and needles start to wear off.  Have you had the pain since being on Amit?  if so, its well worth speaking with your doctor.
    • Posted

Hi Paulafreeatlast

Yes I have and I know you need to keep out of the sun as well so that doesn't help been diagnosed with brochiectatis as well so weight loss could be related to this going to speak to a nurse at British lung foundation tomorrow

Thanks

Lina

• Posted

Hi Lina,

I have taken 25mg Amitriptyline for 5 months now and it has caused me all kinds of problems. I also got tingling feelings in my feet. That was just one thing, along with dizziness, brain zaps, and even breathing problems from quitting it cold turkey several weeks ago as my dr did not tell me to taper. I never had these kind of things in my life ever before amitriptyline. Feel free to write back anytime. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.