What are the uses for this drug?

Does it help anxiety or depression?

Any input would be great.

Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

I recently started Amitriptyline less than a month ago, but I do know quite a bit about it.

I was put on it originally for Nerve pain and he also hoped it would help my sleep.. (I take 20mg a night currently) and if I need it increasing then it will be increased. I think it may be helping my nerve pain, but its a bit too early to tell, as for sleep.. its done nothing.

Amitriptyline is used for a number of things... sleep, migraines, mental illness, nerve pain, rheumatoid conditions etc.

Its used at different doses for different things...

For pain you can take anything between 20mg and 75mg (can be higher for migraines).

Amitriptyline is used to treat mental illness, like depression.. however you need it at a much higher dose.. I was told about 100-150mg helps depression by my consultant as he said its an option for me. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.