Amlodepine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone else lost their eyesight from taking amlodepine?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about the loss of eyesight. Do you have any reason for thinking it's anything to do with amlodipine?

I've been taking amlodipine for many years. Over time, I've developed intermittent double vision which my consultant couldn't explain or fix. Just wondering whether it's anything to do with amlodipine. 

• Posted

My sister had her regular eyesight test and was told her eyesight was really good and that her prescription hadnt changed. She was prescribed amlodopine. She didnt feel well when taking it but was coaxed to continue. She felt affects to her eyesight occurring plus other side effects. It continued and now she has stopped taking this but has very little eyesight left. After 2 years of attending a hospital eye clinic they cannot explain her sight loss.
  • Posted

Hi Kathy - I had bouts of very blurry vision which scared the daylights out of me - I have not experienced it since stopping AMLODIPINE almost 10 months ago, so yes, I do believe it affects your vision. 
    • Posted

Thank you Debra and am pleased to hear your sight is back to normal.
  • Posted

Good grief, I do hope not!  Amlodipine can cause many side effects for some people but I’ve never come across loss of vision being one of them.   Kathy, have you lost vision permanently?  Has glaucoma, macular degeneration or a silent stroke been ruled out?  My vision was affected by an autoimmune vascular condition a few years ago but I am blessed that I still have my eyesight unlike some poor patients for whom it caused either partial or totally irrecoverable  loss of vision.
    • Posted

My sister has which co-incided with taking this med. Just asking to see if this has happened to any else.
    • Posted

Did your sister report it to the MHRA (if in the UK, that is)?  If not, she needs to because they are supposed to monitor all medications on the market.
    • Posted

I'll let her know. The main problem is getting someone to admit to the c ause. The Gp wouldn't commit and the eye Consultant said when asked...I can't see any explanation for the sudden loss of sight ...after carrying out tests over 2 years.

Thank you for your advice.

• Posted

Hi 

Ive been taking Amlodopine for three years and never had any side affects so consider myself lucky. I definitely don’t think it has anything to do with the eye sight. I wear contact lenses and have had no problems. Not saying it couldn’t effect the eyes but think it’s very unlikely. 

• Posted

Thank you. Was just mentioning this to see if anyone else has had problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.