Amlodine and a Cellulitis or Oedema type Rash on lower leg

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am beginning to wonder if the growing rash on my lower leg is a Cellulitis or Oedema type Rash.

As I have posted on this on the Amlodine forum but thought I would trry on this one,

I was taking Amlodine 5mg (High blood pressure Medication ) and my ankles began to swell and a very itchy red rash began to appear.

I was put on different medication but the rash it never went away and is covering the area from my ankle to my knee, it's very red, sore and itchy and looks quiet angry, but have no pain in the lower leg, both lower legs were swollen, the right one is back to normal but the left leg is still swollen,

My GP prescribed antibiotics but they didn’t clear the rash, I have just been prescribed  an ointment (Clobetasone Butyrate 0.5% ) to try and clear the rash up.

I am not sure my GP knows exactly what type of rash I have, but I have carried out a bit of research and it looks as though it may Cellulitis or some other skin condition to do with the side effects of this drug

I know that lots of posters have mentioned rashes I just wonder how the got rid of it or still dealing with it ,and what medication was prescribed for them

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul, is the ointment helping at all?  It is classed as 'moderately potent' and if my memory serves me correctly, you then go to 'potent' and 'very potent'.

When I developed a rash, I was prescribed all sorts but nothing helped until I was referred to a Dermatologist [and the waiting list can be very long] and I had patch testing, which they now rarely do because of the expense.  I discovered what I was allergic to and the Dermatologist told me how to avoid it and prescribed a 'very potent' steroid cream.

How long since you stopped taking the Amlodipine?  Mind you, it could just have been a trigger for your rash.

How long has this been going on for?  You should ask to be referred to a Dermatologist.

• Posted

Hi Mrsmop

I've been off Amlodipine for a good 6 weeks and been using all sorts of moisturiser creams and had to wear surgical stockings because of the swelling in my left leg.

I had a coarse of antibiotics to try to get rid of the rash, but they didn’t work either.

I don’t know if it is the pressure of the stockings on the rash or not a lot of air getting to it through out the day, has made it worse, not helped by the hot weather at the moment.

My GP has recently been on a coarse at St Thomas Hospital dermatology department so should be a bit more knowable about skin conditions, but to me it has got my GP stuck to what kind of rash it is.

It was definitely cause by the side affects of the Amlodipine as I was fighting fit in January until the high blood pressure was found, now I am a different person, feel about ten years older.

Thank you for the link the photo on the page does look very similar to my rash

• Posted

Hi Paul, it sounds as though you have been through the mill a bit.  How high was your blood pressure?

A really good site for Dermatology, is DermNet New Zealand.  I'll post the link after this post because it takes a while for them to approve links but if you Google it, you will find it pretty quickly

• Posted

Hi mrsmop

My BP was 180/100

On the 28th it was 123/74

Took a quick look at the NZ link and Eczema photos seem to look simular to the rash I have.

I surpose if you leg is almost strecthed to double its size it bound to dry out the skin and cause this sort of problem

Thanks for your help I'll study that link more closly this evening

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.