Amlodiphine, very scary drug, I need off!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was given this drug about 2 years ago and it gave me piercing headaches so the doctor switched my meds. At that time I had only borderline hbp.  Now I have moderate bp, high for me is usually 145/91.  It has been about 6 months I suppose and my symptoms are: Hair loss beyond what I would expect from any drug, stomache irritation,           Tingling in toes, prickling, numbness on legs below my knees, weight gain, bloatig, muscles seem to be breaking down and my arms an legs dont fit in my clothes anymore, I am taking on a "fat" look. I am usually size 8 womens, now I a size 12. My abdomen looks like I am 7 months pregnant, I am age 54. My head does not ever feel well, cloudy thinking no level of concentration. I sell real estate, however have not been able to coordinate anytype of work at all.  insomnia, night sweats severe heat fashes, urination issues, I have  noe have major  dental  issues and one tooth just fell apart, I am told I now need to remoe 3 possibly 4 teeth, I was wondering why all of these things were going on with me. No matter what symptom I went to the doctor with she just wrote me another perscription for what are "side effects" of this medication.  The first signs were problems with urination, I was convinced I had a major bladder condition beacuse the doctor sent me to a urinologist when I told her that I was having these issues with my urination.  Everything came out negative. I complained of headaches and she prescribed headache meds. I complained of bloated stomache that seems to get worse in the evening, she prescribed me meds for that. I complained of extreme gerd and gastric belching along with stomache pains, she insisted on me taking another medication for that. I complained of serious muscle pain, pelvic pain and hip pain and a huge sac of fluid behind my knee that formed (both knees are very big still and above is very bloated), My doctor just ordred an xray for my knee and pelvis.  When I finally looked this drug up after realizing that I was having severe depression, I went to the doctor and she tried to prescribe depression meds. I became upset and she started arguing with me when I told her researched the drug and believe it is causing me side effects. I told her I beleive I am not sick at all, but just having all these side effects. She replied, "you can not believe everything you read online'. She insisted on writing me a new prescripion "metropholol".  I researched it and it has a "black box warning' and all the reviews are just as bad as amlodiphine.  I went back to my doctor and she again became very upset with me. I called the office to tell the I dont want to see that doctor and the nurse of the phone tried to ridicule me saying, "do you always look up stuff on the internet?".  I told the male nurse that I was very cocerned that I had so many symptoms so that is why I went to the internet, and he told me to basically stay off the internet an the drug was safe.  I have cut the .5 tablet in half and not sure what I will do next. It is 4 days and the symptoms are still there. I also have extreme anxiety, I  never had that before and tightness in chest when I do even when I have nothing to be stressed about.   I will add: Out of curiosity, I put the two medication names into my facebook search to see if anyone talks about it on facebook and there is a facebook account called: "say yes to amlodiphine and metropohol"  I tried to join the group and was not not granted membership. It is all Indian doctors, sales people and medical people from India,  I dont know what their discussions are however I did find that both medications are manufactured in India and I am wondering if this drug is such a huge money maker that they dont care about the people who have died and been hospitilized from it. I did see where one person said the drug delstroyed his liver and several said they ended up with liver and kidney damage.  I am going to try very hard to get off of  bp meds, and in the meantime change my doctor and get off this medication.  I pray my hair will also come back.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You might wish to try Lisinopril -- not that it, too, does not have side effects. . Amlopidine seemed to bother me, too -- but nothing like your complaints. . Oh, get a new doctor.

I do not think that Amlpidine is that big of a money maker -- It is free of charge here at my pharmacy in Florida as is Lisinopril.

• Posted

Hi bpshepherd...From what I've read, I think your doctor is a pill-pusher. I've never heard of a doctor who would prescribe so many medications just to get rid of side effects of medications. I can see an over the counter when first starting a med, because sometimes it takes our bodies a few weeks to adjust to medications, then after that, the side effects can subside, but not in all cases.

Everyone is different.Some people can tolerate Amlodipine nicely without side effects, while others have a rough time of it, & need a different medication. By the way, "Metropolol" is a beta-blocker.Shop for another doctor if you're no longer comfortable with the one you currently have. The anxiety all of this is causing you most certainly can & likely will, boost your bp readings. 

• Posted

Hi BPS . Yep sounds like same as me over the years. Have really bad headaches and anxiety probs . Palps as well . Seems whatever meds you take makes little difference to this.Also i know what you mean about doctors receptionists, they treat you like you have no right to be there ! !
    • Posted

evening Andrew49240

And it makes me wander what is the point in having any doctors atall! I'ts so differcult getting a doctors appointment thses days never mind the symptoms we suffer from our madicines! Also I recon the medicines proberly will kill us of quicker than the disease or diseases that exist it's a viscious cycle of life, if we can't trust our doctors who can we trust this is a serious matter for us all there are some very good doctors out there but it's knowing who they are...........

• Posted

Hi Everyone. What is it with doctors & Amlodipine? Asked to speak to a dr in my practice about troublesome stiff joints & more frequent nighttime urination. She suggested I didn't take any notice of the listed side effects! She suggested a water test for infection (funny that I'm fine during the day) and treat stiffness as a separate issue (funny how that started with the amlodopine). I think they must get commission from the company. I may stop the pills for a while & measure my BP regularly. Currently 136/73 which she said is good. Any advice?
  • Posted

I was originally on Lisinopril and kept waking up gasping and coughing frantically at night. I would also be in a conversation at work or with friends and have a sudden coughing and choking spell. While filling the prescription one day, the pharmacist noticed a coughing attack and advised me to call my doctor right away to change the meds. I had already done that and the doctor told me it would go away after being on the meds for a period of time - well it did not, so I had the meds changed. Cough is a very common side effect of Lisenipril, my sisters are on it, but I can not take it.  The one my doctor is now trying to prescribe has a blackbox warning from the FDA and should not be taken if you have asthma - which I do. I am changing doctors!
  • Posted

Hi, Your story about your physican is terrifying.  I stopped taking Amalopidine just a week after starting it because of the side effects that I have reported on this forum. I was advised to inform my doctor that I had ceased taking the drug.  My BP was usually between 165 - 180.  My doctor was not available for two weeks and the duty doctor was not keen on prescribing a replacement drug and advised I wait for my regular doctor to return from his holiday.  In the meantime, I was concerned about not having a BP tablet fearing a stroke etc. Although I was still walking with the dog for an hour each day I was still feeling side effects from the Amolodipine and I understand that it takes ages to clear the system. I bought a BP Monitor online for £18. and was surprised to see that my BP reading was 145!

Eventually I got an appointment with my doctor (oddly a cancellation had occured) and I reported my tale of woe. We took  BP reading and it was 145.  He declared that it may not be necessary to replace the Amalodipine with anything.  He told me to keep taking the readings on a weekly basis at home and to contact him if it showed a sudden rise.  Amazing news. I have been taking a BP tablet following heart surgery fifteen years ago - maybe it was never actually required?

My advice: get a monitor online, make a determined effort to take a brisk walk every day - even when it's raining! and see how you go.  But you should tell whoever is your doctor your plans.  Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi, I'm very sorry to read your story. Amlodipine is a cheap generic drug and I believe it is being over-prescribed for borderline high bp. I think the medical profession is starting to realise this now. Remember, it is your body and you have the right to refuse to take this drug.    

• Posted

Hi gerard62834...It does seem as though Drs are prescribing Amlodipine a lot. I for one, cannot take that medication. I have relatives who have success with it, but unfortunately for me, I'm not one of them. I had the very common side effect of swollen feet, lower legs, especially after my dr. increased the dosage to 10mgs. When I came off the drug last February, I noticed a marked improvement but the Dr. told me it could take quite a while for it to clear my system; at least psysiologially. So, hang in there. There are many other bp medications on the market, so persist on getting the one that's right for you. As for borderline high bp, a lot of Dr.'s won't prescribe..just tell you to monitor the numbers..incorporate the Dash diet, get plenty of exercise, reduce stress, etc. Then, if that doesn't work, they will prescribe something on the mild side. 

Good luck!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.