Amlodipine

Posted , 9 users are following.

My dear wife has been prescribed Amlodipine for BP. She is now suffering serious insomnia which has the effect of sapping her energy so she is not able to move around as she did. Also she has a red rash on her legs and badly swollen ankles. Her pre existing arthritis has suddenly become much worse and she has a hacking cough  The weight has piled on and she seems to have lost motivation. I know there is a natural way to combat high BP by lifestyle changes. ie. exercise and diet. Has anyone sucssefully taken this route?     

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had been on Atenolol for 30 years or more, and read that there were newer and better medications available. I mentioned that to my doctor - he prescribed Amlodipine. I then had a bad cold and eye trouble so took myself off the Amlodopine and went back to Atenolol.

Amlodopine doesn't agree with everyone - your wife needs to talk to her doctor about alternatives.

• Posted

It had the same effect with me, in fact most of the BP medicines did the same. I am now on Candesartan, but I had good results with a Resperate machine, which basically teaches you to lower your rate of breathing by breathing in deeply and expiring slowly. Good luck.

• Posted

charlie, sorry to hear about your wife and yes she does need to go back to GP to change meds. I'm on amlodipine and for me it has been fantastic but know it does not suit everyone.

I have also taken the helping myself route as I know excess weight was not helping me neither was my salt intake. So I have taken little steps that I can cope with and they over the year have cause huge changes for the better in my health  and mental wellbeing. Even just walking more and cutting down portion sizes made a huge change for me.

Good luck

• Posted

I am not buying this guys story for one tiny little instant.

I have had DR's come on to me with that nice little talk stuff, and I know better than that!

I am a human being.

This stuff could NOT POSSIBLY be nice little good little stuff to ANYONE.

• Posted

Hi Hitch, 

yes I do take Amlodipine 10mg a day ... and have been on it for nearly 2 years ... and for me it really has been a life saver ... my BP was hitting 240 ... I was having horrendous headaches and vommiting before it was shown to be my BP. I was put on Amlodipine and have not had a headache since.. thank goodness.

However I am in the UK so have worked with my GP  ... it my body so I am the only one who can make changes and take responsiblity and do something about my BP. My GP just helps and advises .

Everybody reacts differently.

• Posted

charlieshoe tell your wife to see her GP and not just to stop taking the Amlodipine. That only puts her at risk of stroke etc. I understand her arthritis has got worse but her GP could put her in touch with other health professionals who could help her with diet and exercise so it's done safely along with perhaps a change of medication or without
  • Posted

hi charlieshore insomnia swollen legs and ankles  palpatations constantly tired are all very common after effects of amlodipine.   some people get over them in a few weeks some do not. you should go and see her GP to see if there is an alternative to suit her better.. there are lots of horror stories about amlodipine so you need to make an informed decision go to your doctor A.S.A.p and get it sorted out.. i hope shes feeling better soon.....len 7
  • Posted

Hi Charlieshore.I have Atriel Fibrilation, I have been taking Amlodopene for nearly seven years, alongside Bisoprolol and Candesartan,My blood pressure was really low for eg. 103/70, Because of this, two weeks ago My GP took me off the Amlodopene, I was really pleased because I suspected that it was giving side effects in as much as I always had swollen ankles. It is15 days now, I am monitoring my BP every day, so far there hasn't been a significant change in my BP, but the Ankle swelling has disappeared. I see my GP again in about 12 days time and hope I find that I can continue to do without Amlodopene.
  • Posted

I must add to my post that I think no one should just stop any tablets without their Dr's advice and permission. as most other posters say, that would be very dangerous, my advice would be always talk to your Dr and take his advice.
  • Posted

Sensible advice jamesbrown that's exactly what I've been trying to say in my post. There are too many risks to patients with hypertension. This needs to be monitored closely and there are other effective drugs out there.
  • Posted

Hi Charlie 

after being on amlodipine for 6 months the packaging and contents were changed here in Australia. Legs like tree stumps cramps, insomnia etc. took time off work and reduced the tablets slowly over the week. Do not take anything at all now. Have increased my exercise and researched diets to lower blood pressure naturally. Have read on one of these discussions that vitamin k is beneficial. Anyway went to doctor had blood pressure check and went from 191 to 140 without the pills. Now doctor. Wants blood tests done. Starting to feel like doing things again. I have been off amlodipine for over a month now and will never go near them again. Diet and exercise seem to be doing the trick at the mo. it's hard at the start as being tired does not make you feel like going for a walk etc. I started slowly and feel better for it now. 

• Posted

Hi Tasma,

That is what  I am getting at, thank you. I understand that high blood pressure in most people is the result of their lifestyle. i.e. Being overweight, lack of exercise, smoking, drinking ect. It does seem pointless that these people should suffer the adverse effects of taking these drugs when a simple but disciplined change of lifestyle would have a much better effect. Not only with BP but with the whole body's health.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.