Amlodipine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I want to review, understand and get advice on all the medications I take.

I am concerned about Amlodipine, which I take daily after breakfast (5 mg).

I see Amlodipine is called a calcium antagonist. Does it relax cells and  widen arteries to allow blood to flow easier and hence reduce blood pressure?

My doctor regularly renews my prescriptions and I do not seem to have obvious side-effects,  except possibly mild incontinence.

I am male, aged 74 and today my health stats are:

Height 179 cm. Weight 85 kg. Waist  99 cm. Hips 100 cm. BMI 25.6. Blood Pressure 119/84. Pulse 87.

Please let me know if I should just continue with Amlodipine, or suggest changes to my GP.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Noelfitz...From what you say, a bp reading of 119/84 is good, unless your doctor thinks otherwise. Your doctor regularly reviews your prescriptions, so I honestly wouldn't be concerned about the Amlodipine unless you develop side effects that are really bothersome or worsten. You didn't say how long you've been on this medication. There are a lot of people w ho have experienced some extremly uncomfortable side effects from the Amlodipine & came off it. I would never encourage anyone to stop medication without consulting the doctor. You may be fortunate enough that the Amlodipine won't bother you. I have a relative & good friend who take Amlodipine without problems. Me, I'm being investigated about it because I have side effects, at least what my doctor believes are side effects from the Amlodipine. I see him next week, where he'll try to take me off it & give me something else. Fingers crossed!

This is a forum whereby we all offer support to each other, & compare "notes". I hardly think anyone in this forum is a doctor, or if they are they have not identified themselves as such. I cannot express strongly enough that any concerns you may have about any of your medications should be discussed with your doctor. By all means, we'd love to help you with our experiences, etc.etc. Take care.

• Posted

(This may be a duplicate reply, if so 'sorry').

Mike92384,

I am very grateful to you for your detailed reply to me.  I wish you every success in your next doctor’s visit.

I agree we are a discussion group for patients,  but I like to have informed opinions.  Some time ago my PSA reading was high, my consultant recommended a biopsy which was negative, even though my PSA was over 20.  I was in a discussion group where concerns were expressed about this, so  I phoned my consultant, and he rebuked me but said if I really insisted I could have another biopsy, which I had and cancer was detected.  However if have great confidence in my GP as most things wrong with me were symptomless. The prostate cancer was initially indicated  due to PSA readings, atrial fibrillation was detected from a stethoscope result and diabetes from a blood test.

I have been on amlodipine for years; I cannot remember when I started on it.

My health I suppose is OK, but I would like to lose weight and reduce my waist measurement.  Not easy!

• Posted

Mike92384,

I am very grateful to you for your detailed reply to me.  I wish you every success in your next doctor’s visit.

I agree we are a discussion group for patients,  but I like to have informed opinions.  Some time ago my PSA reading was high, my consultant recommended a biopsy which was negative, even though my PSA was over 20.  I was in a discussion group where concerns were expressed about this, so  I phoned my consultant, and he rebuked me but said if I really insisted I could have another biopsy, which I had and cancer was detected.  However if have great confidence in my GP as most things wrong with me were symptomless. The prostate cancer was initially indicated  due to PSA readings, atrial fibrillation was detected from a stethoscope result and diabetes from a blood test.

I have been on amlodipine for years; I cannot remember when I started on it.

My health I suppose is OK, but I would like to lose weight and reduce my waist measurement.  Not easy!

• Posted

Noel, we aren't medics on here but according to a booklet I have received from The Stroke Association here in the UK, Amlodipine is described as a Calcium Channel Blocker, also known as Calcium Antagonist.  The article goes on to say:  "These drugs seem to be particularly effective in controlling hypertension in African and Afro-Caribbean patients and older people.  They are also used in combination with other anti-hypertensive drugs.  They have a relaxing effect on the muscles in arteries, causing them to dilate, which leads to a fall in blood pressure.  Calcium channel blockers reduce the workload of the heart and lower its oxygen needs."  It then goes on to list the possible side effects.

As you say you aren't suffering from any side effects, and your blood pressure appears to be well controlled, then why consider changing?

I took Amlodipine for several months but, unlike you, suffered unwanted side effects and had to discontinue it.

• Posted

MrsO,

many thanks for your reply to me.  I appreciate all the replies I have received here.

I hope to review all my medications.  For BP control I  use  Amlodipine and Cozaar (Lozartan) which l will discuss next.

Perhaps Amlodipine suits me, as I am old.

I hope your medications now suit you.

Regards!

• Posted

Noel, with regard to Losartan Potassium (Angiotensin ll Receptor Antagonist), this is the first of about 6 BP lowering meds that I have been able to take without any discernible side effects. However, it isn't very successful in controlling my blood pressure.

As you mention your wish to discuss Losartan, you might be interested in the following Stroke Associations's article on this medication:  "The newest of the blood pressure drugs, which also limit angiotensin ll, but by a different mechanism from the ACE inhibitors.  These drugs work on the kidney, adrenal glands, heart, brain and sympathetic nervous system.  Several new drugs in this family are under development.  To date studies have shown that this drug does not have the side-effects associated with the other classes of drugs with the occasional exception of dizziness."

• Posted

MrsO many thanks for your reply.  Both of us seem to agree that Losartan has little side effefcts, but is not very successful.  I now hope to start a new discussion on Losartan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.