Amlodipine 5MG for 6 Days

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was recently put on Amlodipine in the hope of simply popping a pill to lower blood pressure....I was totally on board!  The very first day I began having muscle aches in my legs.  Each day I had more aches in other parts of my body, including my back, arms and even in my face.  On day 6 I had a follow up with my doctor and he told me I was crazy.  That in all of his years of prescribing this medication, he had never heard of such side effects.  I told him that I would not continue and it was like I had offended him personally.  Wow.  I am taking a brisk walk daily and taking Grape Seed Extract supplements also.  Cut my cigarette habit in half ( I know I should quit altogether...but hey, I am a work in progress!).  I believe it's starting to work, but only been a week.  I have been researching Grapeseed and it's affect on lowering blood pressure and even if that is not the component that helps me...it sure can't hurt.  It's loaded with anti oxidents and something is making me feel better.  My BP was 145/89 yesterday which is heading in the right direction.  Thanks for listening!

2 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Be careful of the HRT route.  My sister was on primerin for 14 years before we lost her to breast cancer.
    • Posted

Oh Brenda, so sorry to hear that about your sister.  Luckily my doctor at the time it started was a female a few years older than me and she had the same terrible symptoms I did.  She was completely against HRT and so am I.  So I have just sort of toughed it out.  It's finally on the way out although I do get the occasional hot flash, but its at least bearable.  Take care.
    • Posted

Hi Brenda, How sad to lose your sister like that.

When I hit the menopause in 1989, HRT was all the rage. I was made to feel by my (female) general practitioner that I was the only woman in the country not taking it. And I think I almost was! She ended up saying she couldn't continue as my doctor. I just didn't feel comfortable about taking it.

What makes me a bit angry is that 10 years or so ago when medical "fashion" suddenly changed, all those same doctors who bullied women into taking it for years were suddenly scaring them into stopping.

I don't actually think the increased risk of cancer from taking it is all that high. I just wish doctors would allow women to make their own informed choices.

I only had 18 months of hot flushes. Although I've been in osteopaenia for the past 25 years I've never gone all the way down into osteoporosis so don't regret never taking HRT.

• Posted

Thank you Lily.  I am glad you avoided the HRT craze.  For some reason my own primary (male) did not like prescribing it and would not give me HRT.  You and I may be the only two in the country not on the therapy.  I keep getting clear mammograms so something must be okay.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you Patty.  Glad you avoided HRT.  See my comment below.  I have also hot taken it.  Take care and good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.