Amlodipine 5mg Side Effects - Horrible!

Posted , 27 users are following.

I started researching the Side effects of amlodipine (from users not just what's on the pamphlet you get from the pharmacy, which I always read) as I've been on it for four weeks and am starting to have some serious side effects. From my understanding that's typically about the time the side effects start to show up. Here is a list of what I'm experiencing:

Extreme fatigue

Muscle cramp

Heart Palpitations

Sore skin that burns to the touch

Horrible hot flashes

Chills

Nervous anxiety (I do actually have anxiety)

Nausea and loss of appetite

Tight band feeling around head

Mild headache

General feeling ill

The frustrating part about this is a lot of those symptoms come along with anxiety ...but I had my anxiety pretty much under control. Now I feel as if I'm starting to be out of control again with the symptoms and wondering if it could be the amlodipine?

Any help you can give would be appreciated. I have stop taking the med for now as I'm waiting to hear back from my doctor. My pharmacist also told me it was safe to just stop taking it, but to check my blood pressure twice a day. Thanks again.

3 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have lower back pain and trouble getting up also.my question is why would my doctor prescribe this knowing I have sciatica nerve damage. my pain use to come not to often unless I move the wrong way.my pain is constant now.

• Edited

Brandy, I am a 70 year old white female w/bipolar disorder, plus. I have been on amlodipine 5 mg for about 3-4 weeks and have had severe dry mouth. Taking bi-polar meds makes one have a dry mouth; but, I have been on this same regimen for a long time; but, this is terrible. I have had choking/coughing spells which is not normal. I noticed unusual sweating when I would lay down for my afternoon rest/hot flashes and dreams at night. Today I had a crazy feeling while resting, I was lightheaded (lying down) and felt like everything went black. Crazy. I have noticed constipation which is not normal for me. Extreme thirst (unquenchable), increased tinnitus and very frequent urination at night. I already had an appointment with my gp on Monday/today is Saturday and I don't know whether to take tonight and tomorrow night. I don't know the danger of stopping at once; but, I do not want to have these symptoms anymore. Trying to think this thru, I believe not taking would be my best bet. I cannot see putting anything like this in my system ever again that is going to cause the above. Thank you for your info.

• Posted

I just wrote what I’m going through below but yes I’m having that feeling when I’m laying in bed it’s like such lightheadedness and I feel like I’m blacking out and have to fight it. I feel like I’m going to faint all the time it’s gotten so bad I’ve been taking it a year I don’t want to take it anymore Im suffering severe side effects.

• Posted

I have every single one of them symptoms and more I’ve been taking it for a year it is so horrifying I am suffering so severe I keep having a fainting feeling so I’m thinking it’s lowering blood pressure too much but i check its normal. t’s just such much suffering everyday for a year. I also have that tight band around my head it feels like my head being squeezed in my chest I get chest pain my gums are receding off of my teeth I can feel my teeth through my gums I have pain all over. I have anxiety but it makes it worse. extreme fatigue , the hot flashes are so bad plus burning hot skin, facial chest and arm flushing, One of the side effects I had that lasted for about the first five months was this pumping in my ear and it sound like it like a heartbeat and it won’t go all day until it finally wore off and it does it once in a while still, highers my blood sugar, sharp stabbing head pain, muscle spasms, pain in big toes, pain in feet and area that connects feet to ankle. Fingers and face swell. Huge strong heart palpitations that take your breathe away and burning hot sensation happens like a rush right after. I feel severly ill everyday day like have the flu but 50x worse, fight or flight at most times, if I stand my head and body feel like 500lbs are sitting on me and blood pressure goes very high standing. So many side effects I have chest pressure, breast pain, neck pain, body pressure, extreme tiredness, bones hurt, muscle spasms, blurred vision, numbness in hands & arms, brain fog, always hungry, pressure in my gums, pressure head, constipation, horrible nightmares every night, high blood sugars, palpitations, ringing ears, , daily lightheaded, no energy, numb face, tongue & arms, tingling face, arms feel cob webs on me. Checked 3 times for stroke & was ok, cold hands & feet, depression, severe panic attacks, sexual dysfunction women + more. Ruined my life. I want to stop it I cant suffer no more.

• Posted

hearing heart beating i only get this when i put my head on the pillow you also listed quite a few side effects i had a thick band around the top of the head yes had that severe brain fog and forgetfulness very cold hands and feet can also get hot flushes that last for about five mins the list goes on, know listen to me my friend if i may call you that you have to dig deep into you self your not only a human being but a human with a soul i don't know if you be leave in such things but i have since a very young age i mentioned this to a few others its true you have to change your diet habits but its not the end of the world but you must focus on what you do to help yourself there's a whole list, i meditated for 12 years that must have helped me but you don't have to do that it can be as simple as a breathing exercise not long back i was reading about acupressure points you stimulate on certain points of your body a Chinese art its something new for my self as well well all the best and let me know how you go, i will listen

• Edited

I cannot tell you all how enlightening this post is.

I am a 61 year young female who has been taking Amlodipine for over 16 years. I recently (within the past 3 years) started fainting, my heart was racing so much that I was prescribed Atenolol. In June of this year, I developed a large mass in my abdomen on the left side. It was hard as a rock and looked like I was pregnant. When I work at my computer for more than 4 hours, my feet swelled so huge- I ended up having to buy a large incline pillow to sleep with my legs up in the air.

I had a cat scan done on my abdomen. Went to every doctor I could think of... then I went to a cardiologist, who said I was "normal" with my heart- but the fluttering still was going on.

Cardiologist suggested for me to go off Amlodipine, this was a month ago.

My blood pressure was low enough for the past year- I didn't need it any longer.So I stopped taking them.

Guess what?! No more fainting, no more swelling. I can fit into my size 8 pants again (and I don't look pregnant on my left side)

No more dizzy spells. I spent so much money on doctor visits and medical procedures... yet it was those stupid pills all the time. and my blood pressure is fine. SOMEBODY NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THESE PILLS!

• Posted

yes i agree there nightmare i had that drug atenolol is that the slow release bp drug the only thing i remember was that i was taking two bp drugs slow release and the normal one but they were lower my bp that much id wake up in the night freezing cold and barley move never had a bp machine them days but if you wake up feeling strange it helps to check your bp to see if its too high or low

• Posted

Hi guys

Is there anybody currently active on this thread? I've never suffered from anxiety related conditions but now I'm getting palpitations, anxiety, panic attacks the whole lot! Unless it's Amlodepine I have no other explanation but it's really frightening me big time. I can't sleep or relax for a second. I really don't know how to cope with it all but I guess there's some comfort knowing others are in a similar situation. Help please? How do you guys cope with it all???

• Posted

you have to make a decision i know its scary but is it the medication i bet your bottom dollar it is if you look at my post below it tell you something practice things like meditation check out whats best for control of bp for your self anxiety uselessly increases bp you can always change your meds or go a different way when i first started having my problems i did not link it too the bp meds for a number of year neither did the did the doctors so i started researching on the net

• Posted

I have just begun, but feel so poorly, am stopping straight away. instead of feeling better, I'm feeling so much worse .. so will not be continuing this drug... will complete a yellow card form. BP is one thing, but we patients are individual who cannot be treated genetically... awful drug

• Posted

No dont do that slowly ween you self them suddenly stopping them could be more dangerous this is what i did, it really depends how long you have been on the meds

• Posted

hi i lost my job because of this drug it started causing side effects id never had before id suddenly blank out or have gastronomical episodes all sorts of other aches and pains im still not clear of it yet even though ive not taken them for sixteen months my bp can be all over the place if ive been to asleep at night it seems to go high for no apparent reason then when i sit up straight it starts to return too normal id just had enough a few years back when i started getting red legions on my arms and legs that would start to bleed i stopped the drug and within six weeks the legions started to heal it must also affect the gut lining of the body as i started getting allergic to things like sugar citric acid drinks made at the pub my skin would go very dry the doctors did not care when i went for an appointment they did not even look at the scares, i must confess i feel more human since ive been off amplodipine to be honest i dont think you can really win because the other bp drugs may cause things like liver or kidney disorders and even a host of other problems if you read some of literature in some instances it says words like manage the illnesses not cure of course that all down diet and life changes but ok i could die but beleave me when i went smack flat on my face i did not feel a thing or even remember anything till i woke up facing the floor my last thoughts as i as i started feeling sick oh no its going to happen again it was like id never existed till i woke so i dont think im afraid of death but i would not worry most likely we visit this fair planet again thats if you got strong spiritual beliefs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.