Amlodipine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Amlodipine

It seems to me that one of the problems is deciding what might be a side-effect of the Amlodipine (or any other drug) and what might be due to something else.  Before I was prescribed Amlodipine, I tried Ramipril.  My arms, legs and buttocks ached constantly, and I felt depressed.  The symptoms went as soon as I was taken off Ramipril, and was prescribed Amlodipine instead.  Yet I have a friend who takes Ramipril with no discernible side effects (or so he said last time we discussed it). 

For a long time I had 5mg Amlodipine daily, but for about a year and a half I have been taking 10mg, with a low dose of bendroflumethiazide .  Like other people on this forum, I have had head-aches, but I’ve also had quite long periods without them.  A definite side-effect, which I was warned about, is swollen ankles.  Because of the fluid retention, and its redistribution when I am horizontal at night, I need to get up to urinate several times a night (twice is good, four times is typical) which means that my sleep is disrupted.  However, there are two other symptoms which I experience, on which I would be grateful for the comments of others.  Firstly, I can no longer get a really good erection; is this a result of the Amlodipine or is it just a consequence of being nearly 72?  Secondly, just under a year ago I developed an intolerance to alcohol.  I’ve never been a big drinker, but my wife and I could enjoy a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, or share a bottle on special occasions.  Now, a small glass is enough to have an immediate effect, going straight to my head, and any more than this makes me feel queasy.  So, although I am not a total abstainer, I now drink very little.  Has anybody else had this experience, and could it be related to the Amlodipine?

My doctor only offers Ramipril as an alternative to Amlodipine, and as described above, that is worse for me.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

When my blood pressure first took on a life of its own, I was prescribed Bisoprolol 10mg, then, Ramipril but I developed a cough, which is a known side effect, so Ramipril was dropped & Bendroflumethiazide was added [2.5mg].  Recently-ish, Losartan was also added but then I had to stop it because an immunosuppressant that I was on, reduced my blood pressure.

So, I was on Bisoprolol & Bendroflumethiazide for a few years.  In August, my BP went through the roof & I had Amlodipine 10mg added.  BP is down but ankles are vast & painful & I get up at least twice a night to go to the loo.  I went off alcohol about 5 years ago, so I don't know about that & I do know that BP meds can cause problems with impotence, so, not your age.

https://patient.info/health/high-blood-pressure-hypertension

Have you read this leaflet & explored Patient UK?

• Posted

Thanks for your comments.  When I first started on the BP drugs, more than 20 years ago, I just had half a bendroflumethiazide every day.  I was warned that that could cause impotence, but it didn't.  The problem got worse after my dose of amlodipine was increased.  Perhaps I just have to resign myself to a life without sex and red wine!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.