Amlodipine and Erection difficulty

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I am 39 year Old. I have recently diagnosed with high blood pressure. So my GP put me on Amlodipine 5mg. I am diabetic type 2 as well and taking Metformine 500 mg for that. 

Now after being on this two medications I am experiencing some erection problems. I can always obtain an erection but recently can't maintain that when try to have sex. I am loosing my election right inside vagina which is utterly frustrating for both of us.

I have already got long time premature ejaculation problem on top I am facing this Erection problem. My sex life now almost non existent. Frustration is at sky high between us two. 

I studied online some people said amolodipine cause some kind of erection difficulty but with careful further study I got to know Amlodipine is calcium blocker drug so it is actually less likely to be responsible for erectile dysfunction. 

I find it too embarrassing to get myself checked by GP.  Besides if once I change the Amlodipine if the new one make it worse how would I know.

Do any of you have similar conditions please let me know your advice 

Thanks 

Report this

? 0

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have no personal experience but what I know is that the high blood pressure itself can affect erections, due to blood flow. I don' think that you need to be physically checked by your doctor but it would be wise of you to just call and ask a question or two. 

How are you feeling these days? I see that it's been a month since you originally posted.

• Posted

Dear Gr8fulwoman, thank you so much for your kind attention and time to read my letter and the reply you made. 

Yes it's been quite a while since I published this. But I really don't know how to remove the writing once it is sorted.

I managed to see my GP and managed to do that  without getting physically examined.  Doctor changed  the Amlodipine 5mg to Ramipril 2.5 mg and put me under 1 month observation.   The result is astrounding. We both are over the moon now. I think even better than pre-hypertension erection wise...  but got some other side effects though.  Ready to compromise anything as long as our main issues are sorted. 

I still don't want to blame Amlodipine though because my GP said each person reacts differently to each medication. Same medicine can have side affect on me and the same can't have on others. That's why she would observe me over a month supply of Ramipril to see how it goes. 

Regards 

Fays

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.