Amlodipine and Peripheral Neuropathy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 45yo male with inherited high blood pressure (20/10).

For years, I have not considered a treatment as long as the symptoms were insignificant.

With the covid event, I have started to take a diuretic (indapamide) and a calcium channel blocker (norvasc).

The doctor initially prescribed Norvasc 5 mg... then increased the daily dose to 10 mg.

After some months, several side-effects appeared; the most disturbing being a tingling/numbing on the feet/toes area and subsequently in calves and thighs. I have associated it with the sitting at the desk for long time... I have tried to "scare" it by dong some in-door workout. My cardiologist told me that is normal... it will go away... etc.

The tingling and numbness, after 3-4 months became persistent and permanent.

The symptoms are fading only when sleeping... for long time... after waking up... for several minutes I'm like new again.

Meanwhile, I have totally renounced at Norvasc... but the tingling/numbing... the peripheral neuropathy is still there... the symptoms diminished a bit.

A few questions:

1. Did someone here encounter the same side effects after a relative short exposure to amlodipine (3-4 months)?
  2. Are the induced neuropathy reversible? Any timing, hints, advices would be really appreciated.

Sincerely,

Adam

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Amlodipine gave me very swollen ankles and I've never used again.

If I had a pound for every doctor who told me 'it will get away' I'd be a rich man.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.