Amlodipine and Sour Stomach?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been on 10 mg Amlodipine for several weeks now, and have recently started having stomach problems. Partway through my evening meal I will suddenly feel very full and uncomfortable. Then comes the excessive saliva and eventually throwing up what appears to be a clear but thick bile. After this I usually feel better. I understand that this COULD be an unfortunate side effect of Amlodipine - that in relaxing one's blood vessels, it also relaxes the muscular ring that keeps acid in the stomach, and instead allows it to flow upwards into the esophagus. I'm writing all this because a) I would like confirmation from fellow sufferers before I go back to my doctor with my suspicions, and b) some guidance as to what best to do to alleviate the symptoms!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi david, im a 26 year old i have high blood pressure. I was perscribed lisinopril earlier this year. It was making me ill and coughing at night. Other than that the tablets worked. I started Amalodipine 5mg early in september. Since then i have not been able to get myself right. I have had stomach pains, chest pains, sleepless nights. I have never suffered with 'anxiety'. I have never believed in it. I have been waking up in the middle of the night with the fear i was going to die or something. My family think i have gone nuts, the doctors are not believing in anything i have been telling them, I have been issued anxiety tablets. I have paid to go private to try and sort myself out. Ive been kicked out my work as my head hasn't been in it. After reading peoples stories im finally believing its not me and its the tablets that have been making me unwell. Its certainly been an eye opener for me, and i will not be dismissing people that do suffer with anxiety any more. To go through that for 2 months has been awful never mind years!

i hope your getting sorted now

• Posted

Hi david, im a 26 year old i have high blood pressure. I was perscribed lisinopril earlier this year. It was making me ill and coughing at night. Other than that the tablets worked. I started Amalodipine 5mg early in september. Since then i have not been able to get myself right. I have had stomach pains, chest pains, sleepless nights. I have never suffered with 'anxiety'. I have never believed in it. I have been waking up in the middle of the night with the fear i was going to die or something. My family think i have gone nuts, the doctors are not believing in anything i have been telling them, I have been issued anxiety tablets. I have paid to go private to try and sort myself out. Ive been kicked out my work as my head hasn't been in it. After reading peoples stories im finally believing its not me and its the tablets that have been making me unwell. Its certainly been an eye opener for me, and i will not be dismissing people that do suffer with anxiety any more. To go through that for 2 months has been awful never mind years!

i hope your getting sorted now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.