Amlodipine Besylate 10MG Side Effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm so relieved to find this discussion. I've been on Amlodipine 10MG's for the past six months. Recently, and just before I found this discussion forum, I made a Doctor's appointment worried and thinking that maybe I have chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia or kidney issues. I've gotten so fatigued that doing simple chores like laundry, climbing steps, grocery shopping or even chewing food was utterly exhausting. My ankles, legs and hands are swollen by noon and I have had difficulties bending my ankles or walking without knee pain. Touching my the back of my legs leaves an indentation. Pain in my neck developed out of no where (I thought maybe it was from computer work) and the tingling in my shoulders, arms and hands has been almost unbearable at times. I've also found it difficult to concentrate as of late, and frequent 4-5 trips to the bathroom begins at 3AM, which has left me waking up exhausted from lack of sleep and dehydrated. 

To be honest, I didn't realize that my symptoms may be related to this drug, but even after two days of not taking it because I was out of my refill, and then doing some google searches to find this forum, I am finding some relief. Although the leg and feet swelling remains, the debilitating fatigue is remarkably better just after 48 hours. 

I do recognize the importance of being prescribed a drug for hypertension and I'll be open to try another when I see my PCP this week, but there must less problematic options besides this drug. I would suggest to anyone who have been prescribed Amlodipine to make sure that they schedule a follow up with your PCP after six weeks or whenever he/she suggests. Or if you notice any symptoms related to what it discussed here to contact their Doctor immediately. I wish I would have more proactive.

Thanks again for all who have posted. It's helped me greatly.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had been on amlodipine for over 10 years. I'm very heath conscious so exercising has always been a daily part of my routine. When I first stated taking  amlodipine my ankles became swollen but because I was so active the swelling went away and did not return. As many users have mentioned, the side effects slowly take over so I did not realize that the pain under my left breast was radiating from near my stomach. Other symptoms I've experienced are, knotting in my lower and upper intestine, burning in stomach, neck/shoulder pain, burning in left arm, and in center of chest.  In fact, the pain cause my doctor to think it was my heart so I had a heart cath but there was no problem with my heart. I'm so thankful for this site because I have decided to stop taking the amlodipine (approximately 5 months ago) and now I feel so much better. All of my symptoms have subsided and I'm amazed at how much better I feel. 

• Posted

6 months ago after taking only two amoldipine tablets prescribed by my GP I ended up in A&E with severe stomach cramps.  On release I never took another one and instead take1 magnesium tablet and a glass of beetroot juice a day.  I am 80 and since then my blood pressure has been normal and I am extremely fit taking no other medication.. 

• Posted

Incidentally I forgot to mention that mine were only 5mg tablets, but the literature says the normal starting dose is 2.5mg.  I hate to think what 10mg was doing to you.
    • Posted

My PCP had me start on that dosage, and I really don't know why. Hypertension diagnosis, and I do have a history of high blood pressure. It wasn't until I found this forum was when I learned that 10MG was it's highest dosage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.