Amlodipine Besylate 5 mg. Facts.

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I discovered my pharmacist was giving me different colored pills, their answer was we haven;t gotten a shipment from our manufacturer, so we're using another pharmaceutical.  I told my Primary Care dr. who told me to get another Pharmacy.  The new pharmacy was horrible.  So I went back to the old pharmacy & she said I should get a new doctor.  When I called to seemy doctor to inform hm I had been off amlodipine 6 months due to dizziness, his office staff told me he wanted me to go to the ER.  Just ridiculous1  S I got rid of him.  His M.A. staff never took accurate BP readings & I askedhim to give me a second reading every time.  Systolic ws always 20 - 30 pts higher than the first.  So with a new doctor who can't see me until Dec. 2nd, and on my own, I go back on 5 mgs. in July, and by Oct. 24 I renew a prescription from the old doctor & the lousy pharmacy as thatis where the 3 mo. presciption was.  Within 1 hr 15 minutes of taking it (a light blue tablet M A9) different from the last prescription that was white (I didnt note the coding) I was incapacitated with Vertigo.  I couldnt walk or function.  The pharmcist had quit as the store was closing & this was a young guy Id never seen.  He kept telling me to go to the ER when I said I was overcome with dizziness after taking it.  I didn;t go anywhere but made appt to see an ENT & Audiologist.  The ENT was uncaring, apathetic, and smirking.  He said  had a lot of inner eye wax he removed, the audiologist was better, BUT the 3 days of testing showed nothing WRONG.  I had to wit 4 days to get the report from th ENT.  He said I had inflammation but refused to be specific.  I   asked  was it the vesticular canal?  NO  Did I have displaced crystals? NO.  Was the Vargus nerve damaged.  NO.  He put me on hold 30 minutes & guess he was shocked I was still there.  In a minute he put me on hold again, and I quickly asked him COULD IT BE AMLODIPINE?  NO.  I ended up hanging up after being on hold another 10 minutes & asked for a report to be mailed by the office and it came today ~  Nothing was wrong with my ears. SO DID AMLODIPINE CAUSE THE SEVERE DEBILITATING DIZZINESS ~ I could barely walk.  I was an invalid for 2 weeks.  Today is day 15 and I am able to walk with a stick and drive locally, shop with a cart to steady myself.  I'm improving every day that I'm off this drug.  But I decided to see how many manufacturers make this drug.  I came up with 9 companies.  More on the next post.  Linda       

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

9 different manufacturers of Amlodipine Besylate 5 mg.  

1.  MYLAN PHARMACEUTICAL  M A9  light blue & round

NDC CODE  ? 

2.  ZYDUS PHARMACEUTICAL   Z 3  white & round 

NDC CODE 68382-0122

3.  LUPIN PHARMACEUTICAL     Lu H12  white & round

NDC CODE  68180-0751

4.  INVAGEN PHARMACEUTICAL IG238  white & round 

NDC CODE  31722-0238

5.   GREENSTONE LIMITED G15305  white& 8 sided

NDC CODE  59762-1530

6.   ROXANE LABS 54771  white & round

NDC CODE  00054-0101  white & round

7.   VINTAGE PHARMACY  V2109  white & round

NDC CODE  00603-2109

8.   BRECKENRIDGE PHARMACEUTICAL  210  white round

NDC CODE 51991-0667

9.   WOCKHARDT USA  W422  white oval

NDC CODE 64679-0422

my next research is to go to their websites to see where the drug is made, marketed, and distributed.   I cant do this tonight and post it as my vision is still a little blurry.

• Posted

A little information on Amlodipine Besylate 5 mg. 

It's made with:

micro crystalline cellulose

calcium phosphate dibasic anhydrous

sodium starch glycolate

type A starch

magnesium stearate

used to treat:

high blood pressure

Raynaud's Syndrome

Angina

heart failure

migraine prevention

am-lo-di-peen  - phonetic pronunciation

A calcium channel blocking agent.

Inhibits movement of calcium ions across cell membranes in systemic & coronary vascular smooth muscles. 

A steady state is reached after 7 - 8 days of consecutive daily dosing. 

ADVERSE REACTIONS:

CARDIAC - 5% flushing/ palpations

CNS - headache 7%   fatigue 5%   dizziness 3%   somnolence 2%

GI-  nausea 3%  abdominal pain 2% 

HEPATIC - enzyme elevation

MISC.  edema 15%

avoid sudden position changes to prevent orthostatic hypotension. 

stop taking if pulse is below 50 bpm

• Posted

Have you determined which manufacturers work for you and which causes problems? I am getting different reations too including vertigo sensations. I cut the usage to 2.5mg per day from 5mg and combine Amlodipine with Losartan and it works well with good bp. I haven't noted the different manufacturers but will now. Though not chronic with one variety I have suffered some sleep problems (I normally can sleep on a washing line) and this strange feeling of falling over. The chemist said that it could be down to the 'binders' rather than the actual drug that causes the differences?
  • Posted

Dickie,  I only am just putting all this together.  I had no idea that there were 9 different companies and I had not documented anything.  I will tell you right now that in the future I will be anal about anything I take, demand to know who manufactured the drug, and find out where it originated from.  I still haven't done the work on the individual companies as I've wasted weeks with Vertigo and have fallen behind on getting everything indoors for winter.  I will do this task when I am resting at night time.  How do we know where these ingredients are coming from.  Should we as consumers blindly trust companies to do the right things to produce a pill that is sterile, clean, and made in a factory that complies with regulations?  How do we know the ingredients didn't come from a filthy factory in China?  We don't know.  And I am going to find out the best that I can.  Stay tuned.    
  • Posted

Hello,

I feel the same as you do regarding where

our meds come from.

After reading the different manufacturers of

Amlodipine besylate you listed, I wondered

if you knew if any originated from China.

I know you posted over a yr ago, but my

son ( 30yr) may be having a reaction to this

medicine.

Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.