Amlodipine besylate and nightmares

Posted , 4 users are following.

After 4 years, my Olmesartan-Hctz was not working to keep my blood pressure in the recommended range. 

My doctor prescribed amlodiplne besylate 5 mg last week. Almost  immediately, I noticed I was feeling more tired as if I were sedated,in a daze. 

Now that I’m into my sixth day, I’ve had some crazy crazy nightmares.

Two days ago and also yesterday, my wife said that I seemed very strange and different, disoriented and not aware of what’s going on around me especially when I was driving.

I was getting confused on routine routes that I’d driven many times.

Yesterday, she took the precaution to drive us back home because she said I seemed unaware and  showed signs of slowing cognition.

so, for now I’m trying 1/2 of my pill to see i feel better. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi William..I too had awful nightmares with Amlodopine but didn’t have the other upsetting symptoms. have you had your blood pressure checked? If your previous tablets were not controlling your blood pressure I’m a bit worried that it may be high and the confusion and disorientation could be due to that .having only 1/2 the pill might not be the answer.i would visit my  gp as soon as possible.i have recently come offAmlodopine due to its awful side effects but under my doctors guidanace.i took my blood  pressure three times a day and fortunately it remained stable.now after a month it has stayed down and been advised to check it daily for 3 months and then go back to my doctor.if it rises I have to go back immediately.i no longer have the nightmares and fear of death that I was having and luckily my blood remains down so not on any other meds.it is important to have medical advice for your high BP as if left uncontrolled it leaves you open to all sorts of problems.good luck and hope you are feeling better soon.
  • Posted

I too realised the strange side effects this drug had..very tired even after good sleep. Strange dreams.legs that didnt feel like mine..sluggish and achy..i spoke to my doc and he has taken me off it compleatly been 3 days and feel a 100% better.im on a new tab hopefully all will be ok!!
    • Posted

Lercandipine think thats how its spelt..apparently less side effects.day 4 and appart from a little yuckiness feeling ok..tiredness gone and legs are improving..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.