amlodipine besylate night sweats

Posted , 5 users are following.

VA hospital started me on amlodipine besylate 5mg a day after I went to the hospital with internal bleeding and BP 197/162. After a week, I suddenly felt extreme fatigue, muscle soreness, and extreme night sweats. The night sweats got so bad I would wake up each morning to my pillows soaked, my blankets soaked, and even my entire mattress would be soaked. I stopped taking the pills this morning and I’ve felt great all day, but I can feel the night sweats coming. (I only stopped taking the mess because I can’t get the hospital to put me in touch with the Dr that prescribed the meds). I’m 38...

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Did they give any explanation for your diastolic being being so high?  When mine does that I put it down to AF and the monitor being unable to cope with it
    • Posted

I had just been poisoned and lost an incredible amount of blood.
  • Posted

That's a rather small dose of amlodipine, it takes a week to build up to even that much full strength.  For a BP that high you probably want more help.

Amlodipine unfortunately takes a couple of days to clear from your system.

OTOH I'm not sure if it's the amlodipine that relates to night sweats, it might be the high BP that associates with night sweats, or something else entirely.

If that's the US VA, in the US most doctors treat high BP with a combination of drugs - usually ACE/ARB, beta blocker, diuretic, and then maybe a calcium channel blocker like amlodipine.  So expect some different pills.

How long has your BP been so high?  Is it better now - do you have your own meter at home?

• Posted

My blood pressure is usually 140/90. The night sweats stopped after I stopped the mess.
  • Posted

joshua96707...I would never encourage anyone to stop medications without consulting a doctor about it. You've stated that the hospital won't put you in touch with the Dr. that prescribed the meds. What about your own doctor?

Do you have a walk-in clinic you can attend? You truly should discuss this with a doctor. You were experiencing internal bleeding which of course is an emergency. You know..when something goes on in our bodies, our body reacts with elevated bp. It's the body's way of saying..."Hey!..something's wrong here". Did they not take bp readings after resolving the internal bleeding problem?????

Get to a Dr...Please let me know how you get on.

• Posted

My blood pressure when I started the meds was 140/90. It rose to 160/120 after a week on the meds. It was back down to 140/90 today after not taking the meds for 2 days.
  • Posted

Hi Joshua. Do you have a primary care you can follow up with?  If so I would 

I personally think all these medications for blood pressure are  garbage

Definitely get into see a doctor ASAP

• Posted

My VA Dr has an appointment available July 30...that’s the earliest appointment available...good old VA!
    • Posted

Yes. The good ole waste of space VA

My husband is a Combat Wounded Warrior Marine (OIF/OEF). I’m a Nurse and worked for the military both stateside ins over there 

We use all civilian docs. No VA. He’s 100% and could use the VA but we refuse 

Do you think it might hope you’re better to just have a regular civilian doctor out in that you can use your military insurance with it’s not that bad cost wise at all  And you can get quick appointment and don’t have to wait forever to see a doctor considering your medical stuff you really should see someone before the 30th I just think that’s too far out

I never advise doing a cold turkey on meds without the doctor knowing that maybe you could even go to the ER and talk to them but it’s obvious those meds are making you more sick and I honestly don’t blame you for not taking them 

Always BP meds are poison in my opinion

Please let me know how you do 

I really think it’s too long a wait till the 30th there’s no reason you can’t just go to the ER maybe someone there can address it a lot sooner for you so you don’t find yourself in a bad spot at the last minute

• Posted

I may have missed it somewhere but what was the cause of your internal bleeding do you have any idea you don’t have to share it. I’m just curious because that certainly would’ve elevated your blood pressure   Your  BP off the medication I don’t really consider bad nor do most doctors however there are some that go by this ridiculous chart that think everyone should be 120/70. 

Hope you’re doing ok 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.