Amlodipine causes severe dizziness?

Posted , 18 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I have been on Amlodipine for about 15 months having been changed over from Atenolol. Around 6 months ago I started getting bad dizzy spells occasionally. Doctor thought my BP might have gotten too low so reduced dosage to 5mg per day (from 10mg). At first it seemd to help, although I did get the feeling of pressure in my head and tension on the top and back of my head - as mentioned in other postings. Recently, though, the dizziness/nausea has come back and I feel that the Amlodipine is the cause as I never had any problems on Atenolol (apart from weight increase!) Have any other people had problems with dizziness/nausea whilst on Amlodipine?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I to was on atenolol...after a period of time it quit working. I got switched to amlodipine...side effects started within 1st week. Nausea,headache that ran from the side of my left ear and traveled up to temple area. Asked pharmacist about it...no clue! I then did my own research and found this forum...thank goodness..I'm not crazy! Went to health food store yesterday and am going to give natural a try...so far my bp has been no worse than when on meds. I could actually feel when the meds would time release..I'd get sick to my stomach and my tongue felt like it was coated and harder to talk. Needless to say I am extremely medication sensitive...

• Posted

i have been from amlodipine but i change it cause my legs and feet is swelling and hurting im on losartan now. maybe you have anxiety thats why you feel like that cause i also feel dizziness before and pain back of my head my doctor said its because of brain circulation and give me meds also try to ask if you have sinusitis may also be the cause now im suffering for nausea because of acid reflux
  • Posted

I have been taking the tablet for a few years, but I also suffer from tinnitus which

is a separate issue.

I did find in the beginning the tablet brought about a feeling of light headedness

which I controlled by decreasing the dose from 10mg to 5mg. Worked for me.

What I have found is that when my tinnitus gets bad and brings on a bout of dizziness by taking this tablet Amlodipine, it stop the dizziness in his tracks and I am

able to carry on with my job instead of lying down for the rest of the day.

They have some purpose after all.

• Posted

Ive had dizziness for a long time now. I have been taken low dose (25 to 50 mg) Losartan for two years and low dose (2.5 to 5 mg) Amlodipine for 11 months. When going from 2.5 to 5 mg, the dizziness (and multiple other symptoms) accelerated.

I have stopped both medications now, the Amlodipine 17 days ago. No sensational breakthrough yet, except my neck pain has subsided.

I would like to hear peoples experiences with dizziness after they have stopped with Amlodipine.

Some say it takes two weeks to subside and some say several months?

• Posted

I just started this medication on a low dose (2.5 mg) per day.   On Monday (day 6) I woke up with dizziness.   On Tuesday I woke up in the middle of the night with bedspins so bad that I was aftraid to move.   I got right off of it.   Doc said that at this low dose it would not be harmful to just stop.  Today, Wednesday, I have a little residual dizziness but nothing like yesterday!  That was awful.  
  • Posted

I began taking this almost a month now.  I woke this morning with the room spinning like you would feel as a child doing the stand and spin thing until you couldn't walk.  I had to close my eyes to get it to subside a little.  Took my blood pressure and the thing is wrong sometimes I think 169/154 pulse 80.  Took a couple times more a minute apart and it seems normal 130/88 and 140/80.  Felt hot/sweaty and a minute later I was cold on my forehead to the touch and clammy.  I was fine yesterday....my daughter came over this past weekend who had been around her mother all week with the flu...I don't know, but I am afraid to take this stuff now.  Almost on the verge of throwing up as I sit here typing this.  Felt short of breath too and I never get that.  All I know is something isn't right..all I could think of was maybe it was this.  I don't take any other meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.