Amlodipine causing sun sensitive skin

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on Amlodipine for about 8 years. 

Almost immediately my skin felt very itchy all over then when I went on holiday I found the sun caused very sore hives.

the hives would not necessarily appear on the skin exposed to the sun but in all the eczema points .ie under arms back of knees etc. 

Has anyone else had this ?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

This meds. is terrible. I've been on amlodipine for several years I have tingling in my thumb and my index finger. Last couple of days I reduced the amount from 12 mg to 6 mgs. And I noticed the last few days I've had a slight headache the front of my head and my neck is very stiff and I feel like I've got little heart populations terrible I can't take this medicine anymore he's stupid doctors don't listen to anyone anyone else experienced this headache and populations please let me know

• Posted

Sorry to hear you have felt so bad.

you are right doctors don’t really listen. 

I haven’t had all of the symptoms you mentioned but I have got lots of silly little problems like tickly dry cough, itchy skin and a slight anxiety feeling.

im going to see my gp and going to tell him I want to reduce the tablets from 5mg to 2.5 mg.

good luck.

• Posted

Kathleen

I am sorry to hear that you're going through that. I have a dry cough also and that is from amlodipine. Dry skin also. I have had terrible muscle back pain pain in my Achilles heel gout in my toe that keeps going from foot to foot this medicine should be banned it's horrible stuff and I was taking 5 mg I feel still having side effects good luck to you I hope you feel better

• Posted

I broke out in hives after being on it for about a year, but frankly that was the least of the terrible side effects of this awful drug. I am still limping and have a bursa and thickened tendons because of this drug. I have been off it since November 2017 and still have the effects despite seeing the physiotherapist. My brain function is at least back to normal and my liveliness has reappeared. I just want to get back to normal.
    • Posted

It seems I have been relatively lucky compared with everyone else’s problems.

does your doctor agree that Amlodipine has caused it. 

I know my doctors always say it’s not the drugs and I would have the problems anyway. 

I’m not convinced though. 

• Posted

Kathleen, My tendons have gotten swollen so bad I could not flex my ankles. I recently experience headaches and stiffness in back of neck along with papatations.I stop taking amp.myself.We just want to get back to normal .I agree
    • Posted

My Dr.

Does not agree amlop.has caused peoblems. Because one time I went off of it for 2 weeks and she said will you still having those problems. And I said to her doctor it's only been two weeks sometimes it takes a couple years to finally get through these symptoms.

• Posted

Few doctors on these patient forums appear to be listening to their patients.

​The problem is, as any doctor should know, is that it takes weeks for the toxins to leave the body, and possibly months to rectify the damage Amlodopine causes. I still have  tendonitis caused by this drug and am not sure if it will every get better. Has anybody on this site recovered fully from swollen tendons or tendonitis caused by BP drugs. If so how long does it take?

• Posted

Outbreaks of hives or itchiness is a known side effect of Amlodopine. I broke out in hives after being on it for a year or so.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.